Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stubborn cradle cap...

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 9 Replies

For about a month now my daughter has had cradle cap. It wasn't that bad, just some small patches on 2 or 3 parts of her scalp. Her pedi saw it at her well baby visit and said not to worry that it wasn't that bad. I noticed about 2 weeks ago that she was scratching her scalp. I did some research and we started washing her head every night and using a gentle brush right after the bath. It seemed to be working and the patches didn't return, it just looked like dry skin on her head but the scratching stopped. Yesterday morning when I took her out of her crib she had scratches ALL OVER her head and they were bleeding a little bit. Now she keeps trying to scratch, I'm assuming because the dried blood/scabs are itching. I put mittens on her hands so that she can't scratch. She has a well baby visit on the 7th but I called her pedi today and we're going in later so she can look at it. I feel like it's my fault though because my boyfriend suggested we bring her to the pedi 2 weeks ago when she first started scratching but I said that we should try just washing it every night and if that didn't work to bring her to the doctor. She isn't crying or irritated, still a happy baby and doesn't seem to be in discomfort but I can't help but feel like I could have prevented it...

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KRIZZ25
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM
try baby oil..worked on my kids.
KristinD1988
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I read that worked as well but i thought you can"t put it on broken skin and since she's all scrated I don't know if I should

Quoting KRIZZ25: try baby oil..worked on my kids.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Walmart sells a thing called cradle cap. Is in the baby Dept and works amazing. It had winnie the pooh on it.
WILDCATGAL78
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM

What worked for us was olive oil (or coconut oil) and Neutrogena T gel shampoo. My daughter had it really bad for the first 3 months. I was washing her hair every other day. She never scratched but she would have huge flakes in her scalp and hair.

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I wouldn't wash it every single day. That can cause it to dry out too. And I've heard baby oil works to so once she heals up you may want to put a little on.

angela.bouchard
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I've heard coconut oil helps, but I've never personally tried it. 

KRIZZ25
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Quoting KristinD1988:

I read that worked as well but i thought you can"t put it on broken skin and since she's all scrated I don't know if I should

Quoting KRIZZ25: try baby oil..worked on my kids.

MAYBE SOME NERSPORAN (SP?)
KristinD1988
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Thanks for the advice ladies, if it continues I will try the baby oil. The pedi gave us a cream to put on her head and she said just put vasaline/A&D on it so that her scalp doesn't dry out and make it itchy but not to be concerned. It looks like the cradle cap is gone so go back to washing her head every other day/every 2 days and just wet her head the other times. 

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM

We used breast milk to treat and that did wonders for our youngest cradle cap.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)