Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doctor's orders on sleep!!!

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM
  • 49 Replies
My dd is 6 1/2 months old. At 6 weeks old she started sleeping from 930 pm to 7 am. She would wake up every now and then and I would give her a paci and she would go right back to sleep. Well when she was a little over 5 months old she started waking up all night and not wanting to go back to sleep and would scream and cry the only way I could calm her down was to nurse her. Well now she wants to nurse when she wakes up at night and she wakes up a lot. She doesn't nurse long she is basically using me as a paci. She is now in my bed. I'm very sleep deprived now. When we went to her 6 month check up I told the doc and her advice is to do a bedtime routine (which I have always done) and then put her in her crib shut the door and let her cry till she falls asleep. She said even if it take 6 hours to not go in and get her!! That's just crazy to me. The doc acts like its the worst thing in the world to have her in my bed. She says I'm doing more damage to her by nursing her to sleep and having her in my bed. Yes I'm very sleep deprived and a little grouchy.. And plus I have no sex life now but I feel like I'm doing what's best for my baby. If anyone has gone throguhr what I'm going through any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Plus if you have a child that you coslept with and nursed at night how do you think that affected them when they got older? Are they now indepenant and sleep on their own and how long did it take?
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hnischke
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
That is terrible advice IMO. We co sleep, his crib is in our room and then comes in our bed around 4-5am. He's almost 16mo. He wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat. I don't see a problem since breastmilk digests quickly and he's only now starting to eat vs. play with solids.
jaxons_mama
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Quoting hnischke: That is terrible advice IMO. We co sleep, his crib is in our room and then comes in our bed around 4-5am. He's almost 16mo. He wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat. I don't see a problem since breastmilk digests quickly and he's only now starting to eat vs. play with solids.
I thought so to. We have had the same Ped since my some was born over 4 years ago and I have really liked her. This is the first time I have not liked or agreed with what she she says. Who could let a little baby sit in a room alone and cry for hours!
hnischke
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I don't believe in CIO for babies. If my 4yo is trying to delay bedtime and doesn't truly need something fine but not a baby that doesn't understand what's going on. Our pedi is ok but she's said a few things I don't agree with. We're moving in a few months so I'll switch then.

Quoting jaxons_mama:
Quoting hnischke: That is terrible advice IMO. We co sleep, his crib is in our room and then comes in our bed around 4-5am. He's almost 16mo. He wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat. I don't see a problem since breastmilk digests quickly and he's only now starting to eat vs. play with solids.
I thought so to. We have had the same Ped since my some was born over 4 years ago and I have really liked her. This is the first time I have not liked or agreed with what she she says. Who could let a little baby sit in a room alone and cry for hours!
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Both my boys co slept and nursed through the night. My first was the neediest... I nightweaned him at age two, but he slept with us off and on until about 4.5.

My second co slept nearly exclusively from birth until 2.5 when I night weaned him and put him in a bunk bed with his brother.

My 18 mo old weaned several months ago, but still co sleeps, and will for at least another year. She starts in her own bed and comes to bed with us when she's wakes up.

My boys are great sleepers now... Tuck them in, say goodnight and that's it. My first, who was the most difficult as a baby is the best sleeper. I fully think co sleeping helped to establish good sleep habits and associations for them.
jaxons_mama
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Quoting SewingMamaLele: Both my boys co slept and nursed through the night. My first was the neediest... I nightweaned him at age two, but he slept with us off and on until about 4.5.

My second co slept nearly exclusively from birth until 2.5 when I night weaned him and put him in a bunk bed with his brother.

My 18 mo old weaned several months ago, but still co sleeps, and will for at least another year. She starts in her own bed and comes to bed with us when she's wakes up.

My boys are great sleepers now... Tuck them in, say goodnight and that's it. My first, who was the most difficult as a baby is the best sleeper. I fully think co sleeping helped to establish good sleep habits and associations for them.
How did you deal with night nursing that long? I want to do what's best but I'm also the type who likes my sleep. Glad to know that eventually she will sleep on her own.
CharMama3
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I think it's normal at this age for them to wake up a lot at night, it might be a growth spurt.
I can't imagine leaving a baby to cry when they want to nurse.
I'm pretty sleep deprived too, but I know it won't last forever.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I still nurse my 13 month old through the night. He is also in a really bad sleep regression.  I would fire a ped that gave that advice. Especially for a baby before one.  Babies should be fed on demand for the first year at least.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

polkaspots
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:51 PM
At that age dd was getting a bottle in the middle of the night and staying in my bed until morning. Ds was coming into bed with me in the very early morning and nursing on and off until morning.
Dd stopped coming into bed with me shortly after her first bday and ds stopped at 18 months when I night weaned him. Now he's 22 months old and only nurses at night maybe once a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
waytomanykids10
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM
That is the worst advice I have ever heard. None of my kids have ever cio and they are all very social, independent individuals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaxons_mama
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Quoting CharMama3: I think it's normal at this age for them to wake up a lot at night, it might be a growth spurt.
I can't imagine leaving a baby to cry when they want to nurse.
I'm pretty sleep deprived too, but I know it won't last forever.
I feel the same way. It can't last forever.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)