Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stranger Anxiety 15 months - Mommy needs to get to the GYM

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 6 Replies

HI All, 

My DD is 15 months old and is very shy (even with family members that she see's infrequenty) It usually takes her a good 15 minutes to warm up and she doesn't like crowds of people. Anyways... I tried taking her to the daycare at the gym a handful of times and I always get called to come get her becasue she is crying and won't stop. The daycare providers at the gym tell me to drop her off and leave and to keep coming and it will get better. My father seems to think I shoud stay with her and play for 1/2hr so she feels safe. i will admit that I have not gone back after about 6-7 times of this happening. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I could really use some advise on how to help her (and me) through this. TIA ladies!! Happy Holidays! 

Janice 

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
angela.bouchard
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I might stay with her for a few minutes to let her get comfortable and then just keep trying to go back out. I think it will get easier. I went back to school when my son turned 1.. When I first started leaving him for a few hours at a time he would be really upset when I left, but after a while he just started asking for a hug and kiss and saying bye to me when I left. 

la_bella_vita
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I'm not sure, bump!

abra
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I agree. :-)

Quoting angela.bouchard:

I might stay with her for a few minutes to let her get comfortable and then just keep trying to go back out. I think it will get easier. I went back to school when my son turned 1.. When I first started leaving him for a few hours at a time he would be really upset when I left, but after a while he just started asking for a hug and kiss and saying bye to me when I left. 

Darby571
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM
I'm going to try and stay for a few visits and see how that goes at least I'll have some adult interaction lol
Sebbiemama
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My first son was really, REALLY shy and still deals with some social anxiety at 4 years old. I tried at several different ages to get him used to the gym's childcare, but he just screamed his head off for almost the whole time and finally I just gave up and bought a few exercise videos. And looking back, I think giving up was the right thing for him (not for my tummy but eh) - there is no way I could enjoy my workout knowing that my son was screaming the whole time, nevermind that whenever someone opened the door to the kids room everyone in the whole gym could hear him. Hopefully your daughter will adjust easier. Few things that might help:

* Bring special toys that she knows and likes so there is something familiar to play with.

* Talk to the childcare providers there to see what their schedule is. If possible go on days/times when you know a certain person will be there so she's not dealing with new place and totally different people each time.

* Spend a little time there with her before you work out to show her that it's a fun place.

* Give it a good solid consistent try for at least 2 weeks before throwing in the towel. 

Darby571
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Thank you so much for the advice. Emma is really attached to the IPAD so I might buy one of those kids proof cases for her to take into daycare - as long as the providers will allow it. I am at the point of giving up bc I can't stand to hear her cry and knowing that she is so upset is just not worth my working out. I have exercise tapes here and she still naps for about two hours in the afternoon so I can work out then but thats when I usually take care of household chores, take a shower, etc. 

I;m going to try for two weeks per your suggestion and see what happens. 

Thanks again!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)