• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

potty training a very stubborn kid!

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 20 Replies
How do you potty train a stubborn kid?
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
noonelikeme564
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd like to know that! My first two no problem, I didn't even use little pots with them, just a stepstool. Lol! Now this little man that I've got on my hands now, uuggghhh, I am lost for words!
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Here are some signs baby is ready to potty train : )

Physical signs

Is coordinated enough to walk, and even run, steadily.

Urinates a fair amount at one time.

Has regular, well-formed bowel movements at relatively predictable times.

Has "dry" periods of at least two hours or during naps, which shows that his bladder muscles are developed enough to hold urine.

Behavioral signs

Can sit down quietly in one position for two to five minutes.

Can pull his pants up and down.

Dislikes the feeling of wearing a wet or dirty diaper.

Shows interest in others' bathroom habits (wants to watch you go to the bathroom or wear underwear).

Gives a physical or verbal sign when he's having a bowel movement such as grunting, squatting, or telling you.

Demonstrates a desire for independence.

Takes pride in his accomplishments.

Isn't resistant to learning to use the toilet.

Is in a generally cooperative stage, not a negative or contrary one.

Cognitive signs

Understands the physical signals that mean he has to go and can tell you before it happens or even hold it until he has time to get to the potty.

Can follow simple instructions, such as "go get the toy."

Understands the value of putting things where they belong.

Has words for urine and stool.

angela.bouchard
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

We made a sticker chart and gave him high praise a long with letting him pick a sticker when he would go potty. :) It was definitely difficult potty training a boy. He physically would hold his pee and know when he needs to go, but it scared him for a long time to sit on the regular potty. And then he was also scared to hold his penis down, and to stand while going potty. We just had to wait until he was ready and he told us when he wanted to do it.

How old is your child? Do you have a boy or a girl?

graycalico
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
You wait until they're showing all the ready signs
JadeTigr7
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't.  My kids have never stayed in diapers forever.

abra
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM
How old is your kid?
m0mmi_of_4
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
A year and 4 months and she's a girl

Quoting angela.bouchard:

We made a sticker chart and gave him high praise a long with letting him pick a sticker when he would go potty. :) It was definitely difficult potty training a boy. He physically would hold his pee and know when he needs to go, but it scared him for a long time to sit on the regular potty. And then he was also scared to hold his penis down, and to stand while going potty. We just had to wait until he was ready and he told us when he wanted to do it.

How old is your child? Do you have a boy or a girl?

m0mmi_of_4
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM
She's a year and 4 months

Quoting abra: How old is your kid?
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM
2 moms liked this
She's still really young, and obviously not ready. Wait until she's actually actually ready. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

YDD started at 16 months because I have been training her big sister* for a year and a half now and she just had to try it.  Now, at 21 months, she wears regular underwear during the day and sometimes even wakes up in the middle of the night to tell me she needs to go. 

So, if you want to start early, make playdates with moms of preschoolers, maybe.  And, don't force it all on her at once.  Have the potty there and encourage her to sit on it after you remove a dirty diaperor after bathing.  If she goes in it, praise her.  Let her flush after you go.  Once she sees it as a fun game, then you can make it into work with the bringing her up every hour and the charts.

*She's autistic and may never fully train.  Mostly what I've done is get her over her fear of toilets and sitting over holes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)