• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2week old still losing weight

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM
  • 10 Replies

my dd will be two weeks tomorrow. at birth she weighed 3300grams

and as time went on she slowly lost weight (normal I know) we were in the hospital for 5/6days because she ended up being jaundice. (which her numbers are now down. she seems more alert) we were bf but supplementing at dr request to treat the jaundice since at the time my milk was not in. we struggled with bf and were still told to supplement with formula... which I had her on the breast. hand expressed or pumped (gave her what little I had) and then topped her off with formula...) she was still losing weight doing this...

now I have her on the breast as much as possible. latching and breastfeeding are a lot better. and she now actually will nurse for longer periods of time. but again. she is still losing weight. she is now down to 2935grams and will be two week tomorrow. now on average has on large poop or two small a day. and 4-6 pee diapers. she feeds on demand during the day. and at night no longer the 4hrs between feeds.

ive seen several LC in the hospital. have been followed by the nurses who come to your home 4 times since we got home on the 21st. im just so confused. she doesnt seem to be tounge tied. we have an appt with her gp next week (soonest we could get in) and then we are checking her weight again on Thursday. then possibly going to the la lach league (no appt yet) im just so confused... we she is on the breast I produce tons of milk to the point it squirts. but pumping i get 10ml-20ml...

im just curious if any other moms went through struggles of there little one just losing weight no matter what you did?

Im keeping at it. but I feel so sad about the situation

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I know you've posted in the breastfeeding group. Keep her skin-to-skin with you, use breast compressions and massage to get the fat particles all the way down. Look up Dr. Kotlow's website on lip and tongue ties. Squish your breast a bit to get more of it in her mouth. Nurse her every time she wiggles; try for ever 1.5-2 hours.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I'm sorry to hear that : (

My DD gained weight slowly and I started to pump milk. For some reason, that helped get her weight up.

I had a friend that had to turn to 1 bottle of formula a day to get weight gain up.

The breastfeeding group was a HUGE help to me.

abra
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Just keep doing what you are doing. It is going to be ok.
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:55 PM
I had a similar issue with my first baby, but didn't catch it until her 2 month appointment. For me, the baby was getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk (which contains more fat). As a result, her poop stayed green rather than turning yellow. I supplimented with a little formula after bfing until I could get my supply up by bfing more frequently and taking fenugreek.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanuteb
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:09 PM

my lo lost almost a pound before she started finally gaining.  We had to go to the doctor for weight checks every other day for the first 3 weeks.  I was breast freeding but it didnt go well.  I tried everything-she just doesnt do well.  I was frustrated, she was frustrated.  I cried, she cried.  Since she would not gain I started to supplement with formula.  She did better.  I know you arent having a problem with breast feeding, and that is a great thing.  I felt like I was failing.  After about 3 weeks she slowly started gaining weight-she is now 8 months and is in the 50 percentile.  If you can continue with bf that is the best thing, Hang in there, momma, she might just be a slow eater or a smaller baby right now.

pregnantmama105
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:38 AM
Thank you ladies
emkirkley
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:40 PM

is she still actually losing, or is she just not back up to her first weight?

emkirkley
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I agree with MusherMaggie, try to make your breast as flat (sandwich) as possible when inserting into the mouth.  aim for nursing (start time to start time) every 1.5 to 2 hours during the day and no more than 3 overnight.  Make sure you are drinking and eating enough, compress/massaging the breast, do everything you can to keep her awake and eating for as long as possible at each feeding.

pregnantmama105
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:39 PM
I got her weighed today. And she's up to 3005grams
peanuteb
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM

good, she will probably start gaining now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)