Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Baby sleep patterns...

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:54 AM
  • 17 Replies

Hi all! Im new to the group. I joined mainly because Im having a really rough time with my almost 10 month old and sleeping. Nathan is my youngest and I never had problems like this with my older son. 

For the first 3 months of his life, he slept like a champ and I thought I was blessed because of it. Heck, his first night home, he slept through the night. Since 3 months of age, he has fought sleep, tooth and nail and Im at my wits end now that he's almost 10 months. He is a breastfed baby. He still wakes a lot at night to nurse. Average is 3 times a night. Out of those 3 times, I can hear his stomach growling twice....so I know he NEEDS to eat 2 times a night still. Like I said, he wakes 3 times on average.....more often he wakes 3-6 times a night and its hell. Its like he wakes up, crying, and needs to be soothed back to sleep. He shares a room with my oldest, and my oldest has learned to sleep through it now, but its making my husband and I zombies. Also, GOING to sleep is a fight 100 percent of the time. For a LONG time, we would rock him and jiggle him and shush him to sleep and I think that was a huge mistake. Now, we're just putting him down and rubbing his back and he screames. We're doing controlled CIO. We go back in every 5 minutes to let him know we're there, but he still needs to be patted on the back to actually fall asleep, or else he'll cry for an hour or more. We've been doing the controlled CIO for about 5 days now. It doesn't take long anymore, but its still a knock down drag out fight at first. 

I can tell you that he has a routine, (I know its hugely important-kids like things to be consistent) He wakes around 6-7 for the day, nurses, eats breakfast around 8-9 and I put him down for a nap around 9:30. He'll sleep anywhere from 1-2 hours, but never more, often times less. Then he nurses. He has lunch by 12-1230. We play and I put him down for another nap by 2pm at the latest. The amount he sleeps here is the same as the AM nap. Then he nurses and has dinner by 530-6pm. He nurses 2 more times before bed, then we take a bath and then bed at 8 at the latest, but usually around 7:30. Then the nighttime festivities begin. Also, he eats a LOT of solid food when he's awake. He is a chow hound, which I love. :-) So I know it's not because he's not getting enough calories during the day. I dont know what to do. I know I shouldnt compare kids, but my oldest started sleeping through the night at 10 months and it was RIGHT when I felt like I couldnt take anymore nighttime feedings. (he was formula fed) What can I do??? Honestly, the fight when we first put him down isnt really a huge deal for us, but its the constant WAKING at night that is really making it hard for me to function. Co-sleeping and bedsharing are NOT an option for us, so please, dont suggest it. Any ideas? Anything that you can see that Im doing wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated. TIA! :-)

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 4:10 AM
Can't help ya. I FIRMLY believe in co-sleeping and letting baby use me as a pacifier. Of course one of those cribs next to the bed could possibly work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:30 AM

I know that it works for a lot of people, but I cant do it. I will sleep less than Im sleeping now. :-( I have a hard enough time sleeping with DH in the bed with me. :-( I wish I could do it. Even having him in the crib next to me I only did for the first 6 months. 

Quoting Jenn8604: Can't help ya. I FIRMLY believe in co-sleeping and letting baby use me as a pacifier. Of course one of those cribs next to the bed could possibly work.

iansmommy9
by Natasha on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

What about a solids snack before bed?  Sometims I would give DS some green beans or carrots before bed.  When he'd be go through a growth spurt, I'd even give him a solid in the middle of the night. Usually, it was only a couple nights in a row for the 3AM mac and cheese, but it was what he needed to be satisfied and back to bed.

Hope you start getting some rest soon. I loved my baby, but so hated the lack of sleep. GL

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:29 PM
He may be getting too MUCH solids during the day and not enough breastmilk. That should be the major source of nutrition until age 1. Offer to nurse him more often during the day and slow down on the solids. Is he being spoon fed solids or is he picking the food up by himself?
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like too much solids and not enough Brest milk. Breast milk has more calories and should be main thing before a year.
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:34 PM
I agree.
At his age he should be nursing immediately before any foods every time. Spoon feeding also tends to make babies fussy because they can end up eating a bit too much at every meal.

Quoting Junebaby18: He may be getting too MUCH solids during the day and not enough breastmilk. That should be the major source of nutrition until age 1. Offer to nurse him more often during the day and slow down on the solids. Is he being spoon fed solids or is he picking the food up by himself?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!

Too much solids is a myth. It does NOT make baby sleep better. The digestive is rough and can make them up through out the night. Trying lessening the solids and upping the breastmilk.

waytomanykids10
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I'm no help. My 10 month old sleeps crappy. All my other kids were sleeping through the night by the time they were 8 weeks old.

amc103
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:28 AM

Thank you! Im not sure how to incorporate more nursing during the day. He seems disinterested. But when I bring out regular food, he's whinning untill I give him some. :-/ He eats on his own. I think that's what he likes most about it. I bet he'd eat something really gross even, if he could pick it up and put it into his mouth. :-) I will try to nurse him more during the day though! Thank you!

Quoting Junebaby18: He may be getting too MUCH solids during the day and not enough breastmilk. That should be the major source of nutrition until age 1. Offer to nurse him more often during the day and slow down on the solids. Is he being spoon fed solids or is he picking the food up by himself?

amc103
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:30 AM

Thank you! I nurse him before each solid food meal, about 30 minutes before. Is that too much time between? I feel like if I nurse him, then offer him solids right after that, he wont eat many solids....what do you think?

Quoting polkaspots: I agree.
At his age he should be nursing immediately before any foods every time. Spoon feeding also tends to make babies fussy because they can end up eating a bit too much at every meal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)