Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Naps and Newborns (7 weeks old)

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:57 AM
  • 9 Replies

First-time mom here. My DD is just shy of 7 weeks old. For the most part she sleeps well at night (down at 8-9, sleeps until 1-2, sleeps until 5-7). What I'm confused about is naps. She would doze often throughout the day, but not usually for long. I've been reading books, but they are all so confusing. Make the room dark, don't make it dark. Put her down before 2 hours awake, etc. I know she should sleep 15-16 hours per day, and she is NOT getting that... and should start to consolidate her daytime sleep. Question is - how long are typical naps at this point? Should I put her in her crib? I'm just lost - that, and still have trouble distinguishing tired from hungry. Worst part is that I just tried reintroducing dairy into my diet and she has been super gassy and uncomfortable/fussy the last two days, which is not helping any at all. :( Any advice/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks. :)

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
My advice? Stop reading the books. Nurse/feed you baby on demand and when she's tired, at this point she'll just fall asleep, and let her do that on demand also. Then if you want to put her down you can try, but it's also okay to hold her if you want to, or put her in a sling or wrap so you can so things while she naps too.
stepho-mitcho
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I hadn't questioned things until my MIL came and started askign when I was going to put her down for naps and such. She was doing very well at night, so I figured we were doing something right. IDK... I just hate her getting overtired and uncomfortable. Again,gas is not helping (yes, I'm working on teh gas issue - it seems much better today).

stepho-mitcho
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Oh, and my Moby wrap is great - except for when she is gassy. She spits up when she tries to poop, and the restriction and/or pressure in her belly while in the wrap makes her uncomfortable after not too long.

Before I was just going by her cues, which was going great... my home is quiet, and I don't ever go anywhere excpet take her for walks (too cold now). I just want her to be as comfortable and as happy as possible. Doesn't help that she just went through her 6-week growth spurt and many of her behaviours have changed. (sorry to go on and on and on... just... ya know... frustrating, having no clue what to do).

JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:13 AM
Yea, ignore your mil you are doing perfectly!

Quoting stepho-mitcho:

Oh, and my Moby wrap is great - except for when she is gassy. She spits up when she tries to poop, and the restriction and/or pressure in her belly while in the wrap makes her uncomfortable after not too long.

Before I was just going by her cues, which was going great... my home is quiet, and I don't ever go anywhere excpet take her for walks (too cold now). I just want her to be as comfortable and as happy as possible. Doesn't help that she just went through her 6-week growth spurt and many of her behaviours have changed. (sorry to go on and on and on... just... ya know... frustrating, having no clue what to do).

KarenM42
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:15 AM
I agree with this. Let your baby dictate the schedule. I used to tell my son at that age, "you're in charge!" Plus once you finally get a routine and think, "I got this" she will change things up again. I wasn't big on schedules and allowed my son to set his own schedules, which he did. Sounds like you were doing just fine until mil put some doubt in your mind!

Quoting JadeTigr7: My advice? Stop reading the books. Nurse/feed you baby on demand and when she's tired, at this point she'll just fall asleep, and let her do that on demand also. Then if you want to put her down you can try, but it's also okay to hold her if you want to, or put her in a sling or wrap so you can so things while she naps too.
myempyreofdirt
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM
I agree with these other answers. At that age my son slept and ate when he needed to, no schedule. He's about to turn 1 and we still do that for the most part. He does have solids at least 3 times a day, but his naps are basically as needed. I try to get him down at certain points in the day, but I don't bother if he doesn't seem tired. The thing about babies is that their growth is so rapid and sporadic that what they need changes extremely often. A routine is important, but a strict schedule sometimes does more harm than good.
angelchewning
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Mother in laws....going crazy

hnischke
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:39 AM
This is the best thing you can do. Go off of your baby's needs!

Quoting JadeTigr7: My advice? Stop reading the books. Nurse/feed you baby on demand and when she's tired, at this point she'll just fall asleep, and let her do that on demand also. Then if you want to put her down you can try, but it's also okay to hold her if you want to, or put her in a sling or wrap so you can so things while she naps too.
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Sleep didn't consolidate for us until 4-5 months.  We feed/nap on demand, although his schedule is very predictable now.  If he doesn't have a bottle 3 hours after the last one (during the day) all hell breaks loose until there is a nipple in his mouth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)