Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So this weening thing...

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:30 PM
  • 21 Replies
How did/will you go about it? My son will be 1 on the 17th and still has 6oz of formula every 2-3 hours. He gets solids at least 3 times a day and eats well, though not always a large amount. He'll drink water and juice from a sippy, and he seems to like whole milk ok but will only drink it from a glass. I'm just not really sure what I should be doing right now. I think he's ready to start, but I don't know how.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Just cut out the formula
After 1.
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Start subbing the whole milk for formula.  First 1 oz milk, 5 oz formula and work up. 

Or just cut out the formula if he takes milk.  Drinking from a glass is fine.  Then you don't have to wean off of the bottle or sippy.

myempyreofdirt
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:44 PM
You mean mixing the milk and formula?
I'm just not sure about the glass. I have to give him sips and he doesn't get much. It would be easier for both of us to have it in his sippy until he has the dexterity for a cup.

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

Start subbing the whole milk for formula.  First 1 oz milk, 5 oz formula and work up. 

Or just cut out the formula if he takes milk.  Drinking from a glass is fine.  Then you don't have to wean off of the bottle or sippy.

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I mean put some milk and some formula in the bottle/sippy cup.  Put 5 ounces of formula and 1 ounce of milk for a couple of days.  Then put 4 ounces of formula and 2 ounces of milk.  Then 3 and 3, then 2 and 4, then 1 and 5 and finally all milk. 

If he takes his formula that way, hopefully by gradually changing what is in there, he will also take the milk that way.

myempyreofdirt
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM
I'm not sure why he won't drink milk from his sippy. He seems to really like it. Maybe because he expects water in the sippy? Should I keep trying it?

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

I mean put some milk and some formula in the bottle/sippy cup.  Put 5 ounces of formula and 1 ounce of milk for a couple of days.  Then put 4 ounces of formula and 2 ounces of milk.  Then 3 and 3, then 2 and 4, then 1 and 5 and finally all milk. 

If he takes his formula that way, hopefully by gradually changing what is in there, he will also take the milk that way.

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:12 PM

You should definitely keep trying.  How does he normally take the formula?

What we are doing with our 7 month old is trying to give him formula from a sippy a few times a week.  It's hard because we want to do it when he is in a good mood and that's not usually the case in the evenings when we are home, so it is generally a weekend thing.  We still have to hold it like a bottle for him, but he's getting more used to it.  Daycare said they will give him formula in a sippy that we provide.  He also only gets juice out of a sippy, never a bottle. 

Try some different types of sippy cups--like the straw one maybe--and see if he does better with that.  Just keep trying and he'll get there eventually.  At a year old it is definitely time to start working away from the bottle if you can. 

Quoting myempyreofdirt: I'm not sure why he won't drink milk from his sippy. He seems to really like it. Maybe because he expects water in the sippy? Should I keep trying it?

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

abra
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM

If he eats well and drinks milk from a glass, you can just eliminate the formula. 

myempyreofdirt
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM
Would he be getting enough if I did that?

Quoting abra:

If he eats well and drinks milk from a glass, you can just eliminate the formula. 

abra
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM

As long as he is getting a well rounded diet and food is available, he will eat whenever he is hungry. :-) 

Quoting myempyreofdirt: Would he be getting enough if I did that?

Quoting abra:

myempyreofdirt
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:45 PM
What types of things do you recommend for a meal? He really doesn't need pureed food, but he can't chew everything either. Geez I feel stupid asking this lol.

Quoting abra:

As long as he is getting a well rounded diet and food is available, he will eat whenever he is hungry. :-) 

Quoting myempyreofdirt: Would he be getting enough if I did that?

Quoting abra:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)