Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bottle feeding help

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM
  • 10 Replies
My 5 week old is breastfed but i want to supplement one feed per day but she screams when i offer her the bottle any ideas to make it easier for her. its upsetting me that she's so upset by it but i haveto do it as my right breast isn't satisfying her
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM
Any reason to supplement other than thinking you aren't satisfying her? Not satisfied is normal for a 5 week old, it's no reason to supplement, and supplementing will actually cause a true supply issue.

Just keep nursing, she's having a growth spurt.
abra
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Have you talked to a lactation consultant yet? They might be able to help. The only thing to keep doing as far as the bottle goes is keep trying. 

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Supplementing will hurt your supply.  IF you're changing 6 diapers a day then supply is fine.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

polkaspots
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM
It sounds like breastfeeding is satisfying her if she doesn't want the bottle.
If she was hungry she would gladly accept the bottle because the milk flows out so much faster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Quoting polkaspots: It sounds like breastfeeding is satisfying her if she doesn't want the bottle.
If she was hungry she would gladly accept the bottle because the milk flows out so much faster.

Couldn't have said it better myself

polkaspots
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:18 PM
I do have a question about that last sentence of yours. Why do you say your right breast isn't satisfying her? Everybody produces more on one side than the other but you really only need one to breastfeed a child. Her fussing and nursing is what creates the demand and tells your body to produce more milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:04 PM

How many wet diapers is she having a day? If six or more, she needs no bottle:)

Tckosdk.2012
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Double check with the breastfeeding group. They are awesome & some are lactation consultants. It's honestly probly a growth spurt. Just keep offering the breast & count your diapers every day. Your diaper count is the ONLY indication of supply.

runofffeetmum
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:53 PM
I haven't been able to see a lactation consultant she's on holidays bur will go to her asap. i also want her to take a bottle so my partner can feed her once in a while so i can get out of the house she hates the car but i am sick of being inside.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Supplementing formula will decrese your supply. I wouldn't give formula.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)