Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transitioning from Co-sleeping to babies own bed

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:50 PM
  • 12 Replies
Im a single mother of an almost 1 year old and since hes been 9 months old he's been sleeping with me just about every night. I started living with my parents when I got pregnant and has been living with them ever since. My son's dad never wanted to help so I couldn't afford to have my own place. In a month or two, me and my son will finally have our own place. My question is, how do you transition a co-sleeping baby to his own room and bed? I know its going to be hard for him. I really need help with this! This momma needs her bed back.

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShesALady
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Here's a bump. My baby is 11 months and I plan to transition her to her crib soon too.
RalphsMommy123
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Bump
Zazayam
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I would wait until you're settled into the new place, that's a LOT of change all at once. Other than that, I have no advice sorry. My babies stay in my bed for the first few years.

ashybaby87
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:05 AM

With my daughter we lived with my mom and shared a room so I co slept with her for a while. Then I got her her own crib (which was in the room we shared) and she seemed to like that and had no problems going from my bed to the crib which was right next to my bed anyway. Then eventually I met my now husband and when we got our own place together she got her own room and she was excited about it. Only a few times did she get scared, but over all she loved a space of her own and feeling like a big girl. 

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree you should wait until your settled in the new house, transitioning baby to his own bed in the middle of the move might be a lot of stress on him.  Other then that I have no advice.  I waited until dd was 2 before we transitioned her to her own bed.  She was really ready for it then and it was a really easy transition for us.

Quoting Zazayam:

I would wait until you're settled into the new place, that's a LOT of change all at once. Other than that, I have no advice sorry. My babies stay in my bed for the first few years.

angela.bouchard
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. It would be a lot of change at once. 

Quoting Zazayam:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” 

abra
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Maybe set up the crib in your room to start so he can get used to sleeping in it and then when he has adjusted to that, move the crib into his own room.

jbyrd898
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I did it when my son was 18 months. I moved him into his room and gave him a full size bed which I put on the floor. I layed down with him to sleep there first at naps, then I started at night. I layed down wiht him til he fell asleep. After about six months, I shortened teh amount of time i stayed with him. He is three and I still lay in there for about 10 minutes every night with him, but i like it! 

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I agree

Quoting angela.bouchard:

I agree. It would be a lot of change at once. 

Quoting Zazayam:

*Proud mommy of 4 amazing children and happily married to my high school sweetheart*

snowgirl

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Quoting abra:

Maybe set up the crib in your room to start so he can get used to sleeping in it and then when he has adjusted to that, move the crib into his own room.

This, this is what we did and it worked for us

*Proud mommy of 4 amazing children and happily married to my high school sweetheart*

snowgirl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)