Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Potty Training

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:50 PM
  • 11 Replies

My lil lady is 14 months old, my boys are 13 and 9, I swear I feel like a first timer all over again. Plus she's the lil lady, I have a really hard time NOT looking at her like she's that tiny lil 6 pounder I brought home.

We just got a little potty for her. I thought I'd try to just get her used to sitting on it and everything, not really expecting anything to happen. When she has a dirty diaper she says "pooted" lol, so I just kind of sat her on it and kept saying poots go there, pooted, all that stuff.

Well, she hasn't just been sitting there, she's been using it. She's peed in it a handful of times and even pooped once (I do believe that was a total fluke, though she did sit there until she was done), and she walked over and sat down to pee all by herself when we were getting ready for bath time. Other then that, she just kind of went when I sat her there.

Now here's my questions. Am I being silly for even trying at this age? Or am I jumping the gun for getting excited about it "working"? I know my boys were both 2+ by the time they were fully potty trained, but they also weren't walking until after one, she's been running for months now. Plus girls are different, I guess? And last but not least, any tips?

:)

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I've honestly never tried that young but I've potty trained an 18 month old. My girl's both trained easy, it's worth a try! No tips from me, I am not even sure how I potty trained my children myself, LOL.I just kinda introduced them to the potty and let them train themselves.

Zazayam
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Haha, love this. That's something I can definitely relate to!

Thanks. I'll keep trying but keep my expectations low for now :)

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I've honestly never tried that young but I've potty trained an 18 month old. My girl's both trained easy, it's worth a try! No tips from me, I am not even sure how I potty trained my children myself, LOL.I just kinda introduced them to the potty and let them train themselves.

Snapdragon88
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Nah, if it's working it's working! I'd continue encouraging it :)
expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
This. Sounds like she could just be an early learner. Just remember not to feel discouraged if she all of a sudden stops using the potty.

Quoting Snapdragon88: Nah, if it's working it's working! I'd continue encouraging it :)
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
If she's doing it on her own, there's no harm in letting her! There's always that random kid that can defy "normal" like that :-) My mom swears my older brother was potty trained before I was born, she had me when he was 15 months.
And no I don't think it's because she's a girl. I've known MANY MANY little girls in my life and none self potty trained at barely 1. LOL.

In my own experience my girl was the hard one to train, my boys just started doing it on their own when they were ready (but they were 2 when that happened)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM

LOL, it's the truth. it's like one day they each decided hey guess what I'm ready, lol

Quoting Zazayam:

Haha, love this. That's something I can definitely relate to!

Thanks. I'll keep trying but keep my expectations low for now :)

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Zazayam
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM

That's what my grandmother was telling me last night, she said my mother was potty trained really early and did great for a few months and then just stopped all together, lol.

I'm going to keep my expectations low and just keep practicing :)

Quoting expectantmom81: This. Sounds like she could just be an early learner. Just remember not to feel discouraged if she all of a sudden stops using the potty.

Quoting Snapdragon88: Nah, if it's working it's working! I'd continue encouraging it :)

abra
by Abra on Jan. 10, 2014 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

this! Good luck!

Quoting expectantmom81: This. Sounds like she could just be an early learner. Just remember not to feel discouraged if she all of a sudden stops using the potty.

ronita123
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so glad we are here all moms to share our stories. But for me potty training depends on my kids, all kids are not same, some learn fast and other more slowly. I am so lucky because I stumbled upon using a new way and i think it will help you also     3 days potty train  

karenpx
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi there,

I think your daughter is doing very well. If you think it doesn't pressure her at all, ( i think she is enjoying it). i trained my son when he was 18 months and I actually asked for professional help from Carol Kline because i panicked and got frustrated but i did not want to show my son. I wanted say positive and encouraging for him. You are doing very well... keep it up! :) Ill share carol's link for your reference: http://clikhere.co/tnDV8mXo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN