Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Getting Crowns/Caps on a Toddlers teeth?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, I took Elliot to his doctor appointement today. He is 19 months old and this is the first time he has seen a dentist. Anyway, the dentist I took him to is not a pediatric dentist. He looked at Elliot's teeth and of course I voiced my concern about the yellow at the top of his front teeth and the cavaities in the back. He said that he would need crowns/caps on all four of those front teeth. He referred me to a pediatric dentist in Grenada because he said my son would more than likely need to be put on laughing gas.

Anyway, has anyone else ever have anything done like this with their kids? I am just curious as to what to expect.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyhonu
by Mary on Jan. 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM
I would only go in and have a consultation with the ped dentist. There are some ped dentist out there that don't sedate lil ones and will only use local annestesia (sp).
mommyhonu
by Mary on Jan. 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM
And if you are still uncomfortable get a second opinion.
Terpsichore
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I second mommyhonu's suggestion, get a consultation first, and if you're uncertain with their answer, a second opinion. 

I've heard that general anesthesia for children under the age of 2 can be dangerous. My nephew got his cavities in his molars corrected under general anesthesia but he is 4 years old. My own DD is 3 years old and will be having her upper lateral incisors extracted under conscious sedation, nitrous oxide, and her upper central incisors will get temporary fillings until she is either mature enough to sit for permanent fillings or the baby teeth fall out. That isn't until next Monday so I can't tell you how it'll go.

The pediatric dentist we went to will do nothing for DD's decayed teeth unless they abscess, and then they will extract them. Two weeks ago they both abcessed. We now see a new pediatric dentist, who can't do anything with tthe lateral incisors except extract them because they are stubs.

KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:19 PM
How do kids get cavities at this age? My friend's 2 year old has a lot of cavities & the dentist said it's because her son drinks juice or milk in a sippy cup all day rather than at meals only. I ask because my son is 11 months & I want to avoid this if possible.
ilovemykids732
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM

my nephew had that problem with his teeth... he just had no enamel on his teeth... :( 

Quoting KarenM42: How do kids get cavities at this age? My friend's 2 year old has a lot of cavities & the dentist said it's because her son drinks juice or milk in a sippy cup all day rather than at meals only. I ask because my son is 11 months & I want to avoid this if possible.

julainepw
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Waste of money! My husband was a dental lab tech for years and he says not to worry about baby teeth. They are just going to fall out anyway.
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Well, my son does drink a lot of milk during the day. But I don't let him walk around with the sippy cup. He rarely gets juice and drinks water as well. I think it might be because I didn't brush his teeth enough when he was younger.

Quoting KarenM42: How do kids get cavities at this age? My friend's 2 year old has a lot of cavities & the dentist said it's because her son drinks juice or milk in a sippy cup all day rather than at meals only. I ask because my son is 11 months & I want to avoid this if possible.

CafeMom Tickers

KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Good to know. My son has 8 teeth & I rub them with a washcloth at night. Maybe I should brush them.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Well, my son does drink a lot of milk during the day. But I don't let him walk around with the sippy cup. He rarely gets juice and drinks water as well. I think it might be because I didn't brush his teeth enough when he was younger.

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

That would probably be a good idea. :)

Quoting KarenM42: Good to know. My son has 8 teeth & I rub them with a washcloth at night. Maybe I should brush them.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

CafeMom Tickers

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:07 PM
My daughter had to have caps on both of her front teeth. They did strap her to a papoose board to keep her from wiggling. They gave her laughing gas to relax her. It took all of twenty minutes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN