Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For or against use of walkers for infants??

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:48 AM
  • 95 Replies

So, there's a lot of controversy over use of walkers. I've done tons of research. They had to widen the wheels so babies couldn't get down stairs. And over 1,000 ER visits with babies under a year are from use of walkers (pulling stuff onto themself, falling, getting into chemicals, etc.). Also, APA or whatever says that it's strongly suggested NOT to use walkers due to the facts of them teaching baby to walk on tiptoes, and also delaying baby's actually walking. My mom took RN classes and a bunch of baby-parenting classes because she works at a special disabilities daycare, so she's had extensive training and they told her never to use walkers either. So have you used walkers? OR would you never do that? Do you think they're dangerous? Or that parents just don't watch their kids enough? Are you FOR or AGAINST the usage of walkers? :) 

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't use them. I find them pointless.
AnniesMomma227
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Not really against, just she climbed out of it. Won't do that if we have a second baby

Emadele
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this

against. I think they are not good/hinder propped development. We don't/won't use them. 

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I used walkers for my first two children, but upon researching decided against using one for my third. I am against the useage of walkers:)

ceckyl
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope, they're illegal in canada.
buttercup627
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM
We used one sparingly with my dd. She walked at 10 months on her own and never had hip issues or Accidents. She enjoyed playing in it but we didn't just leave her to play in it all day every day
Twix.Leigh
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM
I used one for my oldest, we lived in an apartment, no stairs, he loved it. No problems with him not walking right, or on time. Didn't have one for our second, but they are also illegal here, so unless you Know someone whose got one kicking around, you won't get one.
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:41 AM
I didn't have room for one with my first baby. And just didn't use one with my second. I don't feel strongly either way. I love bouncy seats though!
LuvMyBoys09
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Against. I think a baby should learn to walk under their own weight.
That's why I really like those toys that help them walk but they have to support their own weight.
Gabeys_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Both my kids loved the walker... they never got hurt but we didn't have any open stairways.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)