Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

For or against use of walkers for infants??

Posted by   + Show Post

So, there's a lot of controversy over use of walkers. I've done tons of research. They had to widen the wheels so babies couldn't get down stairs. And over 1,000 ER visits with babies under a year are from use of walkers (pulling stuff onto themself, falling, getting into chemicals, etc.). Also, APA or whatever says that it's strongly suggested NOT to use walkers due to the facts of them teaching baby to walk on tiptoes, and also delaying baby's actually walking. My mom took RN classes and a bunch of baby-parenting classes because she works at a special disabilities daycare, so she's had extensive training and they told her never to use walkers either. So have you used walkers? OR would you never do that? Do you think they're dangerous? Or that parents just don't watch their kids enough? Are you FOR or AGAINST the usage of walkers? :) 

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Replies (91-95):
girlnaboyworld
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Nope don't use them and never will.  My baby will walk when he's ready.

gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I used a walker with all 3 of my kids. None of them ever got hurt. I was smart enough not to put them in it anywhere near stairs, or where they could reach or pull over anything that could hurt them. Mainly they just zoomed up and down our hallway. And they were never in it until they could stand flat footed. It did not cause any delays at all with walking. My oldest walked completely on his own by 16 months (which due to his vision and some other problems he had when born was actually earlier than what was expected), my second was walking completely on her own by 10 1/2 months and 3rd was walking completely on her own by 9 months. So I am for them as long as they are used properly and children are watched carefully while in them.

lismore
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:15 AM
Against
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I love them.

I'm not worried about mine falling down stairs or pulling anything on them, because I watch them. That's pretty simple :) (Yes I know, accidents and all. But that comes with EVERYTHING).

I don't think hip problems or walking problems or any of the others are an issue either, as long as you're not putting them in the walker for hours at a time.

april678
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:02 PM
I did for mine, but I didn't use it til they were ready and they trust themselves
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN