Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How Did You Know That Your Baby Has Eczema?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM
  • 73 Replies

Being responsible for your tiny new member of the family can be hard when the lil' gal/guy can't tell you how their feeling or what happened. 

How did you figure out your baby has Eczema?

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stevensmomma
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Hi I am a mom of two boys 18mths and 5 yrs . We live in NJ so we get pretty cold winters especially this one in the single digits and very hot summers as well as spring is warm of lately.

My ds 18mths has had eczema since birth we first thought it was baby acne but then it took forever to go away so we took him to his pedi and for sure it was eczema and then a dermatologist. He has a very mild case of it but it flares up the most in the winter with the cold dry air so we cannot wait until spring and summer to start !

he gets small spots on his elbows and arms and thighs and his back right now his back is the worst. 

W have tried various over the counter treatments as well as prescription creams none to really work. Right now we have a routine of various creams and using a cool mist humidifier at night and so far it has subsided the flare ups and made them less itchy and painful towards him.

ARPsMom
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I am a working mom that lives in Michigan, right now it has been really cold.
I have a six year old son (Alexander) and a 16 month old son (Liam).
Both of my boys have eczema
With my oldest we questioned his doctor around his first birthday because he had a terrible rash on the back of his legs, arms and face. After making some changes in bath and laundry cleaners his doctor diagnosed it as eczema. I hated seeing him miserable and itching. By the time my youngest was born we already knew what the signs were. We noticed pretty early on that he may have eczema. His doctor confirmed it. Thankfully his is not as bad as his brothers. I am so happy to be doing this influencer program as I am always looking for better ways to treat them.

abra
by Abra on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Hello all! My name is Abra and I am a 30 year old mom to 4. We live in North Idaho, which means it is freezing cold in the winter and is pretty darn hot in the summer, but we always, always, always have an extremely dry climate. 

This is my youngest, Liam. He is turning 2 in April.

Liam gets dry, scratchy rashes on his facial cheeks particularly in the winter. With the heaters (and fireplaces) going, I think maybe the dry air is just too much for his sensitive skin. I have dry skin too, but when my skin is dry, it just cracks and peels. Poor Liam's rash has raised bumps and is very red and irritated. I noticed it first when he was a newborn. It was still pretty cool out and within a week of coming home from the hospital, his cheeks flared up. I guessed it was eczema from the rashes' appearance and my doctor confirmed my suspicion. 

Kellileanne
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Hi, I'm Kelli, mom to Caitlin (6yrs) and Claire (18 months).  We live in southeast Missouri so we have cold weather but also very hot weather.

Claire is the one with the eczema issues right now--here's a recent pic:

Claire at first had horrid baby acne--it was all over her. :(  I asked her dr at a checkup and she said it was the beginning of dry skin and made some lotion recommendations.  It helped for a while but then the red raised patches started.  She gets some random flares where we can't figure out the trigger but have also found a couple of triggers too and have gone through several creams/lotions.  They seem to help for a while but then stop helping. 

My oldest had eczema so I knew what to look for and she started about the same age as her big sister, just not to the extent. 

piercedbeauty21
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Hey! I'm Shaye :) I'm a married, sahm, mother of 2 wonderful kids.

I live in upstate New York, and the weather is absolutely ridiculous!! This is the only place where you can get sunburn on Monday and freeze to death by Thursday. For the past few weeks, our temperatures have been in the single digits with a windchill of -30. Yikes!!

I have a 4 (almost 5) year old Dd and a Ds that's 3 1/2 months old :) 

My Dd had eczema as a baby and it was horrible. I had my fingers crossed that Ds didn't have it, but he does :( I noticed that the skin on his face was a little thicker than normal and had almost a scaly texture to it. It was also slightly red, and he would constantly rub his face. His scalp is a whole different story. What I thought was ring worn ended up being a case of both cradle cap AND eczema together. We managed to get the cradle cap under control, but the eczema is much harder to treat.

I know that he has eczema because it runs in my family. I have it, Dd has it and I kinda knew that he would have it too. This weather is just making it worse for the poor kid :( I wanted to make sure it wasn't dry skin, so his pedi did confirm that it's indeed eczema. 

hapababies
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:36 PM

This messy boy is Gabriel and he is an adventerous 2 year old.  We live in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania, where winters can be pretty cold and long.  We usually have our first snow by Halloween and our last snow around Mother's Day. Our winter temps are usually between 0-35, it's a heat wave if we get above 40! I also have a 4 year old son, who also has eczema.

My DH's family all have eczema, so it was easy to spot when my boys started breaking out. Both of my boys were eczema free until they turned 2 years old.  Unfortunately, my oldest got it so badly last winter that he scratched himself into a bad impetigo infection.  By this time last year, he was 3, he was on steriod cream to get his eczema under control.  I am really worried that Gabriel is going to scratch himself into an infection this year and end up also using a steriod cream. His eczema presents itself mostly on his legs and hands.

bwsmommy
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Im a mom of 4 boys in Tennessee ... right now its winter and our temps have been lower then they usually are ... We usually have a milk spring and a colder fall .. and a hot summer !

My son is 1 yr as of this month !! Here he is with his 3 brothers !

My son has classic symptoms - his breakouts are related to food allergies . The reason i knew it wasnt just dry skin is because i have the same issue with my 6 yr old son and his breakouts of eczema are food allergy related .

We have always used Eucerin cream/lotion .. even when my 6 yr old was 2 months old and was put into the hospital due to food allergies / reflux .. he was prescribed Eucerin by the dr for his eczema .

clairewait
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Hello. I'm Claire, a mother of 3 with one on the way, living in central NC. Hot summers and cold winters, but not too much snow or anything like that.

My son was born in December of 2012. I started noticing breakouts around his wrists, in his elbow folds, and behind his knees around 4 months. At first I thought it was just from sweatting in those areas, and treated it with diaper rash cream. To me it didn't seem like dry skin. It seemed like over-moist skin that was raw and peeling from the moisture.

Several moms eventually helped me identify it as eczema, and told me to keep it as moist as possible, which sounds so counter-intuitive, you know?

He's now 13 months old, and I'm fairly certain we've targetted his breakouts to a milk allergy. He was a breastfed baby for the first 12 months, and anytime there was milk, ice cream, or yogurt in MY diet, the eczema got worse. If I went without, it seemed to clear up a bunch.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

tlu92
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Hi I'm a mom to one. My ds is turning two next month. We thought he had Baby acne but it never went away and got to the point of blistering/bleeding/busting open and they finally said eczema. We have tried every prescription possible. Thats how we new it was more than dry skin. We live in tn and its really cold right now and really hot in the summer!
WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

My name Shondra. I live in KS with my husband who is in the Army and our 11 month old daughter. I work for our local school district as a financial secretary. It's been very cold and snowing off and on for the last month to month and a half. For example, today the high was 3 degrees.

My daughter was born with two patches of dry skin on her hands. By the time she was two months they were turning red or getting very dry and chapped. Sometimes her skin would break and she would bleed :(. We started out switching to fragrance free products and keeping her really lotioned up throughout the day. I know she has eczema because I took her to the pedi. She started getting really red around her neck. inside of the arms and back of the legs. Then around August/September when it started getting cooler out she started to get it on her tummy. It almost looked like hives. I took her back to the pedi at that point. At her 9 month well baby check I though she had a severe diaper rash or didn't like her diapers (we tried a new brand) but it turned out to be eczema in between her legs where the diaper goes.  I wasn't sure what the patches on her hand were. I asked the pedi when my daughter was born while we were still in the hospital. She keeps on eye on during her well visits. I have only had to go in two other times to have her check besides then. She was born in February when it was cold out. 5 days after her birth we had a mini blizzard. The summer or warmer weather it hasn't been too bad. I use prescription creams and various over the counter lotions (like Euercin) and/or oils to keep her skin moisturized. My little girl Hudsyn Camille is pictured below.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN