Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Birth Control

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:40 AM
  • 36 Replies

I noticed this starting on another post, so I thought I would highlight it.  Could be interesting.

What kind of birth control do you use (or have you used)?  What do you like about it?  What do you not like about it?  Ever been on anything that failed and if so what?

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I got the Paraguard IUD in September.  I had never  been on birth control before then.  DH was my first (on our wedding night) and we were ready to TTC as soon as we got married.

What I like:  don't have to think about it, high success rate (99.99% effective if installed properly), not hormonal

What I don't like: sometimes I can feel the strings and they are really irritating, periods are a little heavier/longer (although that could also be normal post-pregnancy because I got it installed during my first post-partum period).

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:49 AM
I've used depo provera and I didn't have any side effects. I plan on getting nexplanon when I get insurance again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luke8212013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:03 AM
I also have paragaurd, just had it inserted in November. So far so good, I love that I don't have to think about it like the pill. I also love that there are no hormones in it.

the only con right now, is my period seems to last forever...doctor said it would take several months for my body to get used to it then my periods would become normal.

Op, maybe ask your gynecologist if he can trim the strings, mine did and I never feel them, unless I'm checking for them.
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:14 AM

The practice I used is an hour away now since we moved.  Plus it's hard since I'm working full time--the time I am home I'd rather spend with the baby or doing things that have to be done.

I will probably have my annual physical around March...most of the time the strings wrap themselves up and I don't feel it, but when they come unraveled (usually right after my period) they are annoying for a few days. 

Also, I'll probably get it removed in November so we can start thinking about the next one.

I know it's a possibility to get it trimmed, but it's the cost-benefit analysis leading me to say "whatever" at this point :)

Quoting Luke8212013: I also have paragaurd, just had it inserted in November. So far so good, I love that I don't have to think about it like the pill. I also love that there are no hormones in it.

the only con right now, is my period seems to last forever...doctor said it would take several months for my body to get used to it then my periods would become normal.

Op, maybe ask your gynecologist if he can trim the strings, mine did and I never feel them, unless I'm checking for them.

Luke8212013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Totally don't blame you, I would wait too!

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

The practice I used is an hour away now since we moved.  Plus it's hard since I'm working full time--the time I am home I'd rather spend with the baby or doing things that have to be done.

I will probably have my annual physical around March...most of the time the strings wrap themselves up and I don't feel it, but when they come unraveled (usually right after my period) they are annoying for a few days. 

Also, I'll probably get it removed in November so we can start thinking about the next one.

I know it's a possibility to get it trimmed, but it's the cost-benefit analysis leading me to say "whatever" at this point :)

Quoting Luke8212013: I also have paragaurd, just had it inserted in November. So far so good, I love that I don't have to think about it like the pill. I also love that there are no hormones in it.

JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I've been on regular birth control, the mini pill, and we currently use NFP.  I prefer NFP.

destiny3513
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:56 AM

None. (Breastfeeding no period.) I like not having to do anything. I don't like never knowing if I will get pregnant.(I test monthly) and this could fail but we aren't really concerned because we would love a second baby. If we do have a second, I will get a more reliable bc because two babies is my max. 

AnniesMomma227
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Nuva ring, sucked, made me sick and pills are just as horrible, the shots don't work, abstinence is what we are doing. We don't want another kid

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I think I want to try that between kids 2 and 3.  I think we'll be at the point where if there's an "oops" it will be ok. 

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I've been on regular birth control, the mini pill, and we currently use NFP.  I prefer NFP.

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:06 AM

I wasn't able to EBF due to very low supply.  So sad, I would have liked going longer without a period, but I'll take the 1 year (3 months pp) I had. 

I'm glad you're aware of and willing to accept the risk of having the kids very close together.  I did not want 2 under 2. 

Quoting destiny3513:

None. (Breastfeeding no period.) I like not having to do anything. I don't like never knowing if I will get pregnant.(I test monthly) and this could fail but we aren't really concerned because we would love a second baby. If we do have a second, I will get a more reliable bc because two babies is my max. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)