Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

BFing and alcohol???!!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:50 AM
  • 51 Replies

Hi everyone I'm Jazzy. I had my baby on Jan 31 and took her to the dr yesterday for a one week check. (She has been having jaundice issues) The dr. said that she was gaining her weight back nicely (she has gained 3 oz in 5 days Monday she was 5 9 yesterday she was 5 12), however advised me to drink a glass of champagne (Sp?) to increase my milk supply for pumping. I'm getting conflicting information on that. Everything I have read says to stay away from alcohol while bfing, and my dr says to have it for my supply. Who is right?

by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkfairy0206
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Are you friggin kidding? ? What the hell kind of dr would advise this?? Of all the other things to increase supply?? Thats ubsurd!! I've nursed 4 kids and never had to take anything or eat any certain foods. You just had the baby!! Your supply will increase naturally. I would look into another dr that is crazy
jazzy411
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Quoting pinkfairy0206: Are you friggin kidding? ? What the hell kind of dr would advise this?? Of all the other things to increase supply?? Thats ubsurd!! I've nursed 4 kids and never had to take anything or eat any certain foods. You just had the baby!! Your supply will increase naturally. I would look into another dr that is crazy

Thank you, that's what I thought. This was only the second time I've seen this dr, but it seems like everytime I see him, he suggests something other than what I have previously researched, read, been told. The alcohol is one thing, and getting her on a bottle is another thing. On Monday he was telling me to give her a little bit of water from a bottle to help the jaundice. When I asked him about nipple confusion he said that she would have to get used to the bottle eventually so I may as well start now. :/ I really am thinking about getting a different dr though.

JacknJill
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this
I would get a second opinion. However I have heard a bunch of times that ONE glass of alcohol a day brings on more milk. It is not unheard of. I have never done it but if you are nervous just get a second opinion.
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Water is dangerous for new babies, they don't ever have to take a bottle unless you are going back to work full time, and alcohol can actually decrease supply for some, I did have ok luck with beer in the evening after my youngest last feeding, but she was sleeping 5+ hours at the time do the alcohol was long gone before she fed again...my youngest two never had bottles, could drink from a straw sippy at 7 months and an open cup alone without much spillage by 15 months
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Giving water to a baby under 6 months of age is incredibly dangerous advice! Run far far away!!

As for increasing your supply, that's not needed, and you shouldn't be pumping yet anyways.

Alcohol is okay to drink while nursing. Safe to drive, safe to nurse is the rule.

Your doctor is scary though, super scary. Water can kill a baby. Just nurse often. That's what will help jaundice.

Quoting jazzy411:

Quoting pinkfairy0206: Are you friggin kidding? ? What the hell kind of dr would advise this?? Of all the other things to increase supply?? Thats ubsurd!! I've nursed 4 kids and never had to take anything or eat any certain foods. You just had the baby!! Your supply will increase naturally. I would look into another dr that is crazy

Thank you, that's what I thought. This was only the second time I've seen this dr, but it seems like everytime I see him, he suggests something other than what I have previously researched, read, been told. The alcohol is one thing, and getting her on a bottle is another thing. On Monday he was telling me to give her a little bit of water from a bottle to help the jaundice. When I asked him about nipple confusion he said that she would have to get used to the bottle eventually so I may as well start now. :/ I really am thinking about getting a different dr though.

pinkfairy0206
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Oh my gosh!! I guess he just assumes you wont continue nursing?? And water??!! What? Do not go back to him. Research another dr call asap! I dont agree with drinking and nursing. Its very odd to me. But then again I absolutely despise alcohol.

Quoting jazzy411:

mommyofblueyes
by Ape on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:17 AM
4 moms liked this

Safe to drive. safe to breast feed.  ONE glass won't hurt anything at all.  I've never heard of champagne though.  Beer...yes! 

Zazayam
by Nicki on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I've heard of dark beer helping supply, but never champagne. I don't know, could be!

If you would legally be able to drive, you're ok to nurse.

There's a big list on kellymom.com of stuff that will increase your supply, if you want to stay away from alcohol. Real oatmeal works wonders for me, there's lactation cookies, mother's milk tea, fenugreek, and many others. If you don't have a supply issue I don't see the need to try to up it, pumping will probably do that on it's own. Just nurse on demand and pump when you need to, and join the breastfeeding mothers group on here, the ladies there are great :)

darciegenito
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

What this mom said.  All of it.  If you can drive, you're okay to breast feed.  And yeah, they say one beer a day helps your supply.  I think wheat beer.  I DO think it's weird that a pediatrician would bring that up first of all things though.  If you want to boost your supply, eat oatmeal, take fenugreek, and drink LOTS of water.  Stay hydrated.  

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

Safe to drive. safe to breast feed.  ONE glass won't hurt anything at all.  I've never heard of champagne though.  Beer...yes! 

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I've heard beer but not champagne. Join the breastfeeding group here, they are awesome & will answer all of your questions. The best thing you can do for supply is nurse, nurse, nurse (supply & demand) & drink a lot of water. That's really it. As long as your baby is giving you 6 diapers a day (poops count as 2) then your supply is fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)