Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

What's Your Everyday Advice For Living With Baby Eczema?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:36 PM
  • 65 Replies
1 mom liked this

All babies react differently to baby eczema and all baby eczema is not the same either!

By now you've probably learned some tricks of your own to soothe your baby when their baby eczema flares up. We'd like to hear it and hopefully help out other moms too!

What's your everyday advice on living with Baby Eczema?

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryLu86
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Two out of my three children have eczema. My oldest was about a year old when her's started, my youngest son was 6 months old. Eczema doesn't run in our family as far as I know. My daughters eczema is not a severe as my sons, so she has minimal itching and redness, Gabriel on the other hand has an almost constant rash and itching (he has scratched to the point of bleeding) :( for some reason bathing too often causes his eczema to get worse. I usually bath him every other day and that seems to help somewhat! I have tried many different lotions and creams (most have not worked for ds). I have been using the eucerin on both kids and it is really helping a lot. I don't have advice, since am still struggling to keep it under control.
daydreamer86
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Dealing with my daughters flare ups has been a challenge. She will be 5 months old on February 17th. She developed eczema at 2 months old and its all over!! It bothers her a lot. Eczema runs on her fathers side. I am using dove sensitive skin on her and she gets a bath 2x a week. She loves goofy mama bath time :)
Kellileanne
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM

My first piece of advice is how to recognize it!  It can present in many different ways, it isn't always just dry red patches.  It can look like ringworm (this is how my first daughter's was, she is now 6 with flares only a couple times a year), it can look like an allergic reaction rash all over, and it can even look like bad baby acne (my youngest's presented this way, at 18 months she now gets the blotches of dry/red areas).

Every child is different, in my family they all presented different ways and most grow out of it by age 8 but still have mild dry skin from time to time.  We've used every cream out there.  Usually after their bath we just wrap them in a towel and they get to run around for a few minutes that way so we aren't adding any extra irritation--then put their cream/lotion on and then once that has soaked in get their jammies on.  Just seems to have worked the best for my girls and my nephews. When I was a kid my mom would put a little babyoil in the bath to try to help. Also using more natural babywashes has helped some.  We try to not spend too much time in the tub either, play some, wash, rinse, play for just a few more minutes and then out!  lol, they always get frustrated when its time to get out.

abra
by Abra on Feb. 10, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Liam's eczema developed about a week after he was born. He is almost 2 now, and his condition is not severe as long as I treat it. Eczema does not run in either family bloodline, although other sensitive skin conditions do. I only bathe Liam as needed. The water is so harsh on dry skin! We do have plenty of bath toys to keep him entertained when he does need a bath, though! 

Stevensmomma
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:26 PM

my ds had eczema since birth we first thought it was infant acne but then we realized what it was and confirmed it with the doctor, my ds is now 19 mths old. I noticed it bothering him in the winter for the most part and he scratches it so I try to moisturize as much as possible and keep it covered so he can't make it bleed. 

The only person that has eczema in the family is dhs sister who didn't have it until she was a teen and still has it as a adult.

We bathe ds everyday bc he is super messy with all he does he gets a fast cool bath using soap free products fragrance free as well.

Ds has various tub toys but his most favorite is just his large cup lol he enjoys the tub even though we can't use bubbles he loves to brush his teeth in the tub and wash his toys with his cloth .

Join us in the smarter living group

kysmama08
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 2 girls, one is almost 6 years and the other is 7 months. I never dealt with eczema with my oldest, but my little one has had it since she was about 3 months. Her dad had it as a child too his mom told us. She doesn't really let it bother her, her little cheeks get really red, but she's never fussy. I just try to keep her lotioned up good and always cover up when going outside. I also have bath time pretty limited to only 3-4 times a week, because the warm water will cause flare ups for her if I don't. She loves the sprayer nozzle to the shower head, she giggles like crazy when it's time to get rinsed off! She makes bath time pretty fun, she also likes bubbles from the soap and her toys!

piercedbeauty21
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Sadly, both my kids have eczema (as do I). My oldest was around 4 months old (she's almost 5 now) when I noticed her eczema. It's actually pretty funny thinking about it, bc Ds (my youngest) is 4 months old, and that's when his eczema really started to flare up pretty bad. I had eczema as a child, up through my mid-teen years, but I managed to keep it under control for the most part. Elijah (my Ds) hasn't been bothered with his eczema since I started using the Eucerin Baby Eczema Body Relief Cream. Before I started using it, he was constantly rubbing his face and picking at his head. Now he barely touches his face and he hasn't picked at his head in at least 2 weeks. To help keep his eczema under control, I limit bath times and only bathe him every other day. I noticed that keeping the water off his skin has helped a lot.  The only other advice I can offer is limit their time in the water, especially in cold weather, moisturize after every bath, stay away from wool & try to stick with cottons, avoid using laundry detergent with scents to them and most of all, trust your gut when it comes to your child's care. Mother's always know what's best for their child. 

lillucky8
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:26 PM

my son was pretty young when we noticed he had ezcema, he was a summer baby so it didn't flare up much until fall and then we definitely realized it was ezcema and not just baby dry skin. he's 18 months old now and still has it, we use lots of cream and he is dairy free which helps alot. i used to get ezcema on my hands when i was younger, i had years of treatment for it, i eventually grew out of it thankfully.

we do bath every night, i know that's unusual for ezcema babies but i've noticed my ds's skin gets much worse if he doesn't have a bath every night. we put a nylon with oats inside in the tub every night (i get the .33 set of knee highs at walmart and the enormous container of quaker oats, put a handful of oats in the nylon and put it in the bath water while it's running, and let the kids squeeze it and play with it) the murky oat water helps calm his skin alot, i also notice the nights i forget to put the oats in the tub, his skin reflects it. we only use soap for washing, not for bubble baths or anything, and i make sure to rinse it off his skin right after im done scrubbing so it doesn't get irritated. my kiddos have a blast in the tub, they have waay too many toys in there and they could play for hours if i'd let them. after bath they are towelled off and immediately covered in cream/lotion. ds has been using the eucerin baby ezcema cream and i've noticed a good response from his skin, i hope to be able to find the product in stores locally.

kirita323
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:50 AM

My daughter was 2 months old when the doctor said she had eczema, but she'd had problems since she was born. She's almost 3 now and it still bothers her at night. It's been especially tough lately because of the cold dry air of Michigan. I'll see her during the night with her legs straight in the air, itching behind her knees. We've been using the Eucerin baby creme religiously and although it doesn't cure her eczema, she hasn't been waking up as much in the night. Eczema runs on my husband's side but allergies run on both sides. Her eczema is so bad, our doctor told us to only bathe her once to twice a week. Our bathtime routine is just a quick wash with dye free, fragrance free wash and then pile on the Eucerin baby creme right afterward to lock in moisture (this step is really important!). We make bathtime fun by saving the shampooing till the end... and playing with toys and reading. 

clairewait
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

My son's eczema first showed up at about 3 or 4 months and seems to be directly related to dairy (milk, mostly). Originally I noticed the dairy in MY diet (he was breastfed) would cause flare ups or clear ups.

He's now 13 months and has been weaned and off all dairy, and it seems to have taken care of it. We do not bathe him every day (he's my 3rd) in winter to keep his skin from getting too dry and I try to use the Eucerin when we do bathe him, and it all seems to be working.

Eczema definitely doesn't run in the family so this was all new and a little scary to me. Glad to see that we may have found the root cause though and it is an easy thing to avoid.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)