Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babie doesn't like fruit

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM
  • 17 Replies
She is 9 months old. She loves the baby food fruit, but I'm trying to give her whole fruits and so far she spits them out. My husband thinks it's because they are cold, but she loves yogurt.

I still give her baby food fruit for breakfast and veggie for dinner. In between she gets yogurt and finger foods. We are going to use up the baby food and then only give her regular food.

She will eat everything else but the fruits. She eats whole veggies, bread, meat, cheese ... Anything you will give her.

Any advice would be appericated.
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Are you giving her whole fruit or purees?  Maybe she likes the purees--it's easy to puree whole fruit.  Whole fruit is very hard to pick up and eat and it is also wet and slippery.   \

I would say just keep trying.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:37 AM
No more purees, they cause more feeding issues. Just regular food, keep offering and let her eat what she will. My oldest will eat fruit all day long, but not touch a veggie except raw carrots. As long as he's getting one or the other, I'm happy. Tastes change. I don't personally like most fruits, but I love veggies.
myempyreofdirt
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Might just be a texture thing. My son has refused certain foods and then taken to them a few weeks later. I think some are just weird to them at first, but they get used to it eventually. I've always just waited a little while and offered it again later.
AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:45 PM
I have given her peaches and watermelon. I give it to get on a spoon and she just makes a face a spits it out.

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

Are you giving her whole fruit or purees?  Maybe she likes the purees--it's easy to puree whole fruit.  Whole fruit is very hard to pick up and eat and it is also wet and slippery.   \

I would say just keep trying.

AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Everyone either loves or hates the purees lol. She like them, I don't see the harm in her finishing them up. She eats just about everything else really well. She has to eat anything everyone else is.

Maybe it's just the texture. It can't be taste since she eats the puréed version.

Quoting SewingMamaLele: No more purees, they cause more feeding issues. Just regular food, keep offering and let her eat what she will. My oldest will eat fruit all day long, but not touch a veggie except raw carrots. As long as he's getting one or the other, I'm happy. Tastes change. I don't personally like most fruits, but I love veggies.
AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:49 PM
That's what I was thinking. We will just keep trying. :)

Quoting myempyreofdirt: Might just be a texture thing. My son has refused certain foods and then taken to them a few weeks later. I think some are just weird to them at first, but they get used to it eventually. I've always just waited a little while and offered it again later.
WILDCATGAL78
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Keep trying. That's what we did. My daughter was like that with mangoes (both puree and whole fruit). It was exactly as someone has posted about - it was the texture she didn't like touching but if I put it in her mouth she would eat it. It doesn't matter if it's purees or whole fruit. We transitioned to baby lead weaning when my daughter was about 6 months.

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Have you tasted the purees?  They taste NOTHING like actual fruit.  If she is eating other things, I don't think she will have a problem with feeding issues.

Try some other things like bananas, chunks of cooked apples, ripe pears, cut up grapes, avocado, etc.  Just keep introducing things over and over even if they are rejected.  You'll be surprised.

For example, the first few times we gave Bug bell pepper (cooked) he spit it out.  The other day we gave it to him again and he couldn't get enough and was choosing that over his other food (chicken, black beans and cheerios). 

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: Everyone either loves or hates the purees lol. She like them, I don't see the harm in her finishing them up. She eats just about everything else really well. She has to eat anything everyone else is.

Maybe it's just the texture. It can't be taste since she eats the puréed version.

Quoting SewingMamaLele: No more purees, they cause more feeding issues. Just regular food, keep offering and let her eat what she will. My oldest will eat fruit all day long, but not touch a veggie except raw carrots. As long as he's getting one or the other, I'm happy. Tastes change. I don't personally like most fruits, but I love veggies.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:59 PM

It can be taste (as well as texture).  Jarred fruits are uniform and typically sweet.  Fresh fruits tend to be more tart, have varying flavours and yes, texture.

The harm in purees is that food before one isn't about actually getting food INTO them.  They don't NEED solid food, but they do need to develop skills and habits that will aid them in eating for the rest of their lives.   Learning to eat uniform mush isn't a skill they need, and if they become too used to it, they will reject real food.  They may reject certain foods anyway, but there's no real point in giving them a reason to!  :)

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: Everyone either loves or hates the purees lol. She like them, I don't see the harm in her finishing them up. She eats just about everything else really well. She has to eat anything everyone else is.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Just keep offering the whole
Foods. We never give puréed. The stuff they put in it is gross.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)