Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son just cut his fist tooth!

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM
  • 12 Replies

He was sitting in his grammy's (grandmother) lap and starting chewing on her hand as always. Ever since he was barely 3 months he started drooling by the gallon, whining/crying more often than usual, and gnawing on EVERYTHING my face included. Well his grammy had a strange look on  her face this time then said, "He's gotta tooth." I doubted it even though I knew he was teething. So I felt for myself and sure enough his first tooth finally broke through the gums. At first I was a little freaked out because I didn't expect to feel a tooth so soon. It was just another sign of how fast he was growing and it made me a little sad to be honest. He'll be 4 months the 18th of Feb. so once he turns 4 months I'll start him on cereals. When did your babies cut there first tooth and how did you react? My little angel will never chew on my face again I'll tell you that.

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zazayam
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Aw, congrats :)

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Mine got his first at 4 months and 1 week.  And Daddy found it when he was bitten.  He has 8 teeth now. 

Before you start him on cereals, you need to make sure he is REALLY ready for it because they are not necessary until 6 months. 

Does he sit up fully independently? 

Does he reach for objects, grab them and put them in his mouth?

Has he lost his tongue-thrust reflex (when food is put in his mouth, he can swallow it rather than pushing it out with his tongue)?

Has he doubled his birth weight?

Is he starting to wake at night or not seem satisfied (always hungry)?

Have you cleared it with his pediatrician?

When you do start solids, make sure you are doing the cereal with a spoon.  Do not add it to his bottles--that's a choking hazard.

You are going to get a lot of flack here because a lot of women on here think that their parenting style and their child's development applies to everyone else, i.e., breast milk only until 6 months, then let the kid eat off of their plate.  You have to do what is best for your kid.

One thing I do recommend is making your own baby food--it's super easy and so much healthier and safer for the baby.  I can give you more info if you want.

We started DS on solids at 4 months because he met all of the factors above.  He was ready; not all kids are that early.  We did rice cereal because that is what the pediatrician told us to do.  Then we did carrots, avocado, pumpkin, sweet potato, squash, green beans, peas.  Again, all homemade purees.  We then added in applesauce, bananas, corn cereal, oatmeal and then other fruits and vegetables.  At almost 9 months, he eats everything except honey, nuts, tomato and citrus (to include strawberries and pineapple, but excluding mandarin oranges which have low acidity). 

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Congrats. My DS got his first two teeth just a couple of weeks ago at just over ten months. My DD didn't have any teeth until she was nearly thirteen months.
la_bella_vita
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:43 PM
Congrats!
Ivys_a_Mommy
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM

He sits up with support not all by himself though he holds his head up just fine, he reaches for everything to shove in his mouth, not sure about the reflex, he has more than doubled his birth weight, he does wake at night and seem hungry always i mean he used to eat 3-4 hrs now hes eating 1-2 hrs 4-8 oz at a time, havent talked to his pediatrician yet though we see her thursday so ill deff talk to her about it. Id love some more info Thanks for the advice.

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

Mine got his first at 4 months and 1 week.  And Daddy found it when he was bitten.  He has 8 teeth now. 

Before you start him on cereals, you need to make sure he is REALLY ready for it because they are not necessary until 6 months. 

Does he sit up fully independently? 

Does he reach for objects, grab them and put them in his mouth?

Has he lost his tongue-thrust reflex (when food is put in his mouth, he can swallow it rather than pushing it out with his tongue)?

Has he doubled his birth weight?

Is he starting to wake at night or not seem satisfied (always hungry)?

Have you cleared it with his pediatrician?

When you do start solids, make sure you are doing the cereal with a spoon.  Do not add it to his bottles--that's a choking hazard.

You are going to get a lot of flack here because a lot of women on here think that their parenting style and their child's development applies to everyone else, i.e., breast milk only until 6 months, then let the kid eat off of their plate.  You have to do what is best for your kid.

One thing I do recommend is making your own baby food--it's super easy and so much healthier and safer for the baby.  I can give you more info if you want.

We started DS on solids at 4 months because he met all of the factors above.  He was ready; not all kids are that early.  We did rice cereal because that is what the pediatrician told us to do.  Then we did carrots, avocado, pumpkin, sweet potato, squash, green beans, peas.  Again, all homemade purees.  We then added in applesauce, bananas, corn cereal, oatmeal and then other fruits and vegetables.  At almost 9 months, he eats everything except honey, nuts, tomato and citrus (to include strawberries and pineapple, but excluding mandarin oranges which have low acidity). 

abra
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
That is great!! I think my earliest was 6 months old. :-)
expectantmom81
by Erin on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Exciting!!
angela.bouchard
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My son didn't cut his first tooth until he was 10 months old!

Ivys_a_Mommy
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Thank you all. Did it make you guys sad knowing they were growing up

alandou
by April on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd cut her first tooth at 6 months. I was excited :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)