Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to teach self soothe in a 7month old

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 5:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

My Baby will be 7 months in 5 days and sometimes he is up 5-10 times a night just cause he can't self soothe. He Has a Hard to time with naps too. Sometimes naps are only  thirty min naps two times a day!   I have tried all the NO Tears Method i can find to help him. Like Rubbing his back, singing, rocking, pick up to settle down and then back down, over and over.....u name it!  But this means I am up a lot at night and no or only little Breaks during the day. Which would be ok if i knew it was working, but i feel like we are going backwords rather then forwords. He literally Slept better when he was 8 weeks old!  I am so tired and I am running out of Options. The last thing I want to do is the CIO out method but I feel like i have no Choice! What are some things you have tried?

by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hapababies
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM
2 moms liked this
7 months can be a tough age because they can be feeling teething pain before any teeth erupt. Plus, they are in that separation anxiety stage.
My best advice is to just cuddle him and tough it out. He will learn to self soothe on his own, eventually. He won't be doing this forever!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Babies start sleeping through the night when they are developmentally ready.  He's starting to learn new things, and that can interrupt sleep.  My daughter, at that age, would only nap once during the day, for 10 min, so I'd count yourself lucky. :)

Have you considered bed-sharing, or co-sleeping so you don't have to go very far for night feedings? 

LJsMoMMY5606
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 6:56 PM
I will co sleep in the early mornings after my hubby leaves for work to get him to go back to sleep for another hour! But don't feel good about doing it with us both in the bed!! His crib is right next to our bed because of this! It's just hard cause I'm always so tired and I hear about other babies who sleep great at this age! I know all babies r different but I guess I'm getting frustrated!!
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 6:58 PM
It's not something you can teach. He sounds like a typical 7month old... Try co sleeping.
hapababies
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Some people are really lucky to have babies that sleep throuh the night from a very early age.  I am not one of those people, both of my boys did not sleep through the night until they were over a year old.  My oldest son refused to take naps for his entire first year that was longer than 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, a friend of mine who had a baby the same age, would have her baby sleep for 2 hours twice a day.  I understand being frustrated, believe me, lol. 

Quoting LJsMoMMY5606: I will co sleep in the early mornings after my hubby leaves for work to get him to go back to sleep for another hour! But don't feel good about doing it with us both in the bed!! His crib is right next to our bed because of this! It's just hard cause I'm always so tired and I hear about other babies who sleep great at this age! I know all babies r different but I guess I'm getting frustrated!!

littlemoments99
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I don't believe in co-sleeping so I won't do that, like others have suggested. I only have a 4 month old, but already he is doing so good. He only wakes up about once a night and takes a nap every 2ish hours.

We do let him cry a little bit. We go back in to his room every 3-5 minutes and try and soothe him without picking him up. Usually it only takes 5-7 minutes to get him to fall asleep. Since your baby isn't used to it, it will probably take longer if you did this.

I am really not sure how we got him to sleep so good at night. I think because we really forced him to soothe himself by not picking him up, he learned how to put himself back to sleep. When he wakes up at night, it's because he is hungry. After he eats he goes right back to sleep. 

I have watched him put himself back to sleep a few times. I was watching the monitor at 12:30am. I couldn't sleep and so was checking on him from the monitor. I saw he was up. His eyes were open and I could hear him kind of talking. After a few minutes he rolled around and kicked a little (no crying) and went to sleep. 

I hope you find something that works for you and your little guy!

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Sounds like a typical 7 month old. My youngest is 14 months and has never slept through the night. CIO won't teach him to self soothe. It just teaches him you won't be there for
His needs.
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:45 PM
You got LUCKY. That's it. It's nothing you did, it's just the way your son is. They aren't all that way.

My third was able to put herself to sleep and slept long stretches early on, but my first wouldn't sleep alone to save his damned life and woke constantly. I didn't do anything different between them, it's just the way they were.

Quoting littlemoments99:

I don't believe in co-sleeping so I won't do that, like others have suggested. I only have a 4 month old, but already he is doing so good. He only wakes up about once a night and takes a nap every 2ish hours.

We do let him cry a little bit. We go back in to his room every 3-5 minutes and try and soothe him without picking him up. Usually it only takes 5-7 minutes to get him to fall asleep. Since your baby isn't used to it, it will probably take longer if you did this.

I am really not sure how we got him to sleep so good at night. I think because we really forced him to soothe himself by not picking him up, he learned how to put himself back to sleep. When he wakes up at night, it's because he is hungry. After he eats he goes right back to sleep. 

I have watched him put himself back to sleep a few times. I was watching the monitor at 12:30am. I couldn't sleep and so was checking on him from the monitor. I saw he was up. His eyes were open and I could hear him kind of talking. After a few minutes he rolled around and kicked a little (no crying) and went to sleep. 

littlemoments99
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Speak for yourself. I know that had we not started the system I described, he would never go down for naps or bed without falling asleep on the bottle first. Therefore, he would be up several times a night because he wouldn't know how to fall asleep without his bottle.

Quoting SewingMamaLele: You got LUCKY. That's it. It's nothing you did, it's just the way your son is. They aren't all that way.

My third was able to put herself to sleep and slept long stretches early on, but my first wouldn't sleep alone to save his damned life and woke constantly. I didn't do anything different between them, it's just the way they were.

Quoting littlemoments99:

expectantmom81
by Erin on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I did CIO so I don't really have advice
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)