Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Baby waking up screaming...

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:46 AM
  • 35 Replies
I am seriously at my wits end. My 4 1/2 month old baby just recently started doing this thing a couple weeks ago where she is completely dead asleep and suddenly wakes up crying and screaming. I either have to rock her to sleep or wait it out. Pacifier doesn't help. Tonight walking her and rocking her actually didn't help for the first time. It's not hunger cries. She literally eats just before. The way she acts, the closest thing I can think of is maybe night terrors/nightmares. No one can seem to give me an answer and I'm going nuts. Help?!
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:13 AM
It sounds like nightmares to me too. I would just give the extra cuddles like you're doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darciegenito
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:29 AM
No one I know with babies her age is having this issue. At least not to this extent. I'm worried it's something serious. I know night terrors can be common but ugh.

Quoting polkaspots: It sounds like nightmares to me too. I would just give the extra cuddles like you're doing.
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Both of my two older kids did it. With dd it happened frequently if her air conditioner wasn't on, but rarely when it was on. With ds it mostly happened when he slept with a sheet because he'd get his legs tangled. He's two now and still doesn't sleep with a sheet, only blankets.
You can always ask your Ped or a therapist, but I wouldn't be worried unless she sounds like she's in pain.

Quoting darciegenito: No one I know with babies her age is having this issue. At least not to this extent. I'm worried it's something serious. I know night terrors can be common but ugh.

Quoting polkaspots: It sounds like nightmares to me too. I would just give the extra cuddles like you're doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darciegenito
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Last night, it sounded like she was really scared or really hurting.. kinda like cries a few hours after shots. I wish I could send you the short video I recorded for records. It's so weird. She's such a happy baby except for this.  After she wakes up and is finally calm, she's usually fine all night though.

Quoting polkaspots: Both of my two older kids did it. With dd it happened frequently if her air conditioner wasn't on, but rarely when it was on. With ds it mostly happened when he slept with a sheet because he'd get his legs tangled. He's two now and still doesn't sleep with a sheet, only blankets.
You can always ask your Ped or a therapist, but I wouldn't be worried unless she sounds like she's in pain.

Quoting darciegenito: No one I know with babies her age is having this issue. At least not to this extent. I'm worried it's something serious. I know night terrors can be common but ugh.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Does it only happen when she's alone?

Quoting darciegenito:

Last night, it sounded like she was really scared or really hurting.. kinda like cries a few hours after shots. I wish I could send you the short video I recorded for records. It's so weird. She's such a happy baby except for this.  After she wakes up and is finally calm, she's usually fine all night though.

Quoting polkaspots: Both of my two older kids did it. With dd it happened frequently if her air conditioner wasn't on, but rarely when it was on. With ds it mostly happened when he slept with a sheet because he'd get his legs tangled. He's two now and still doesn't sleep with a sheet, only blankets.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darciegenito
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:05 AM

She bedshares with us and sleeps right next to me and it happens. We're planning on moving her to the Pack N Play soon but now I'm scared to lol.

Quoting polkaspots: Does it only happen when she's alone?

Quoting darciegenito:

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Might be the beginnings of teething pain. Both my babies woke /wake up frequently from teething pain, screaming their heads off.

LavenderMom23
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Co-sleep. Even if she was able to sleep in her own bed before, it's obvious she neeeds the reconnect. After two nights she should be able to sleep in her own bed again. (Please follow co sleeping safety rules.) I don't know what your opinion is on cosleeping, but it works. Had to do this with my two year old and now she sleeps in her own bed through the night again.

LavenderMom23
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Or tylenol if you believe this is possibly the case.

Quoting jellybeanjean:

Might be the beginnings of teething pain. Both my babies woke /wake up frequently from teething pain, screaming their heads off.

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, cross-stitching, Certified Dog Trainer, green living, book reading, frugal,  college student and mom to Evalynn 9yr, Ashley 8yr, Trey 3yr, and Hailey 1 year, and "mom" to 3 indoor only cats & 1 toy poodle and Pekingese!

AbbeysMom2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM
My daughter has done this. She generally is still asleep while doing it. She went about two weeks straight doing it every night.

Her crib is in my room, usually if I pick her up and reswaddle her or just give her a pacificer she will calm back down.

I was really worried and talked to her dr, she wasn't concerned. She said it could be teething or growing. She said if I wanted I could give her ibprophan.

I wish I had a magic answer :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)