Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Formula Opinions

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:27 PM
  • 21 Replies
I just started my baby on formula because she wouldn't breast feed due to lazy eating, and now I want to find the most cost effective way to formula feed. At the moment she is on Similac Advanced because I got quite a bit sent from then in the mail and she seems to be doing well on it but I can't afford to keep her on it. I have done a quite a bit of research on generic formula finding that Walmarts Parents Choice to be the least expensive. Does anyone have any experience with this formula or any other advice?
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newbieann
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:31 AM

I don't. I use similac too. Have you tried signing up on their site? They send emails about where their product is on sale. There is also amazon mom you can check our and diapers.com that have sales.

ShelbyMustang93
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Yes I am signed up with them and thats how I got 3 cans of Advanced and 3 cans of Sensitivity. I will look at those sites thanks for the ideas :)

Quoting newbieann:

I don't. I use similac too. Have you tried signing up on their site? They send emails about where their product is on sale. There is also amazon mom you can check our and diapers.com that have sales.

AbbeysMom2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:49 AM
We use the Kirkland brand from Costco. It has the comparison for similac and enfimil on the package. My daughter does very well with it. It's $16 for a 2lb can. My daughters daughter is actually the one who suggested it, she said it's the same as the name brand.
ShelbyMustang93
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Thats what every thing I have looked at online says that the generic works really well, some even say there baby handles the generic better than the name brand. Thats a good price with Costco I will have to look into it :)

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: We use the Kirkland brand from Costco. It has the comparison for similac and enfimil on the package. My daughter does very well with it. It's $16 for a 2lb can. My daughters daughter is actually the one who suggested it, she said it's the same as the name brand.

AbbeysMom2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Yes it's an awesome price. I had my daughter on enfamil and was paying more than double for a can less than half the size. If she needed a special brand or type I would make it happen. But ifs she does well on this then why spend all that extra money?

My aunt told me that all the formulas are well regulated, so there isn't really a bad formula for baby.

Costco also has a great price in diapers :)

Quoting ShelbyMustang93:

Thats what every thing I have looked at online says that the generic works really well, some even say there baby handles the generic better than the name brand. Thats a good price with Costco I will have to look into it :)

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: We use the Kirkland brand from Costco. It has the comparison for similac and enfimil on the package. My daughter does very well with it. It's $16 for a 2lb can. My daughters daughter is actually the one who suggested it, she said it's the same as the name brand.

ShelbyMustang93
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:14 AM

The only reason my daughter is on similac at the moment is because I received it free from the company. I agree, I buy everything generic so why not formula like you said it is all the same regulations.

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: Yes it's an awesome price. I had my daughter on enfamil and was paying more than double for a can less than half the size. If she needed a special brand or type I would make it happen. But ifs she does well on this then why spend all that extra money? My aunt told me that all the formulas are well regulated, so there isn't really a bad formula for baby. Costco also has a great price in diapers :)
Quoting ShelbyMustang93:

WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:08 PM

We we switched to formula my daughter was pretty picky. We used Similac for Fussiness and Gas. I know someone mentioned signing up for the Similac website? When you do based on baby's age they do send you $5 off coupons as well. Not sure if anyone mentioned that in above posts.

TLIF1281
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Wic!! Call your local health department!
kysmama08
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Parent's Choice brand is good, read the labels

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I'd definitely try a generic brand formula. I'd also always make a bottle with the lower end of what the baby will eat then just add more if they want more at the end. For example, with my daughter, she would either drink right under 4 ounces or close to 6 for a while. Instead of making the 6 ounce bottles and possibly having to pour out 2 ounces a feeding, I would make 4 ounce bottles then, if she was still sucking when the bottle emptied, I would quickly mix up two more ounces to top her belly off. I had very minimal waste with formula doing it like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)