Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

first foods

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:12 AM
  • 38 Replies
My dd will be 4 months on the 5th, she grabs for my food, gets mad that i wont share. I started her on cereal a week ago and she loves it. What real food should i begin with first?
Dont bother hounding me that she is to young, if she old enough to want shes old enough to get:)
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:20 AM
She is too young. Look up baby led solids. Would you give her a beer if she reached for your drink?
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this
And since you gave cereal you already gave her a first food.
cbear2
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM
Haha really? You think beer n food fall into the same catagory? I think they call that acholism.. you should seek help...

Quoting Mom2Just1: She is too young. Look up baby led solids. Would you give her a beer if she reached for your drink?
JackAttacks
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM

well of course she doesnt NEED food yet nutritionally speaking and AAP and WHO recommends waiting til 6 months at least, sitting up unsupported in a high chair, pincer grasp and so on. BUT since you have made your mind up some good first foods are banana, avocado, squash, peas. are you doing purees or self feeding? again purees are not necessary and self feeding is recommended as it teaches the child to chew food instead of swallowing reducing the risk of choking later on when larger food is introduced. however it is your choice of course.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:50 AM

That was rude.  No need for rudeness. Research shows solids before 6 months is not good for their stomachs. It sets up problems that often do not show up until 6 months. Why the hurry?  It is category, alcoholism, and AND.

Quoting cbear2: Haha really? You think beer n food fall into the same catagory? I think they call that acholism.. you should seek help...
Quoting Mom2Just1: She is too young. Look up baby led solids. Would you give her a beer if she reached for your drink?

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

mommyof4boys317
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Well my son is now 8 months old and when he was about 4 1/2 months old he would do the same thing and reach for my food so I asked my pediatrician and she said if he is reaching for my food that he is probably ready for food,so I bought some baby food to see if he liked it,I did pears I believe and sweet carrots,and at about 6 months I gave him different little pieces of real food.including pizza bread lol I haVe 4 kids and they have all been fine.
JacknJill
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow- people are rude in here. Remind me not to ask for advice! 

To the OP. I started my DD on cereal when she was 4 months. Which WAS the recommended age 9 years ago. And my DD turned out wonderful and healthy. You know what is best. :)

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Banana, avocado, steamed veggies... Just slice everything so that it's easy for him to pick up and put it in front of him. Easy! :)
luvmygirls59
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Does she drink apple juice? If so start on applesauce, she'll already know the taste
BeccaBabyy
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Anyways if you want to start I would say bananas and strawberries :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN