Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
Our dd2 is a week old. Ever since we got home she won't sleep anywhere but on me! I remember dd1 doing this but it didn't seem like it was until a little later. So we've been sleeping in the recliner but I always try the bassinet first. I don't remember with dd1 how long this lasted! I miss my bed & my hubs next to me! Have any of you experienced this?
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:59 AM
Replies (11-14):
myempyreofdirt
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:26 PM
That's why I talked to his doctor about it first.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting myempyreofdirt: For the first few weeks ds slept in his carseat, which I put in the living room next to the couch where I slept. That was mostly so we wouldn't wake dh, who at the time had to work early. It was torture not sleeping in bed with my hubby. What we did was put the carseat in the bassinet. It was one if those on a pack n play, so that may not work for you. I think the carseat just made him feel more secure. Do you swaddle? That worked for us when we switched him to just the bassinet.

This is another dangerous practice. Leaving a baby too long in a car seat at one time impairs oxygenation because of the baby's position and can cause suffocation.
Sebbiemama
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Yeah, my first would only sleep in someone's arms. He prefered my arms but would sleep okay with daddy or the sitter. So I slept with him in the extra bed in his room until he was about 5-6 months old. I could never sleep well because I was so worried about having him that close while I'm asleep. He probably would have been happy sleeping in my arms for much longer but that's when I started to gently sleep train because I was really desperate for change. Now at 4 years old, he's still the kind of kid who loves to be close and have physical contact as much as possible - hugs, snuggles, back-rubs, etc. He's pretty independent and happy, normal, etc. but he's also my cuddle-bug. It's sweet now and was sweet then too, but was also really hard in the beginning. 

mommyhonu
by Mary on Mar. 6, 2014 at 2:09 PM

it might be that she's looking for your smell and your body heat.

have you tried taking a hot water bottle and placing it in the bassinet to warm up the spot where she'll be laying down? and while you're at it try and wrap the hot water bottle with an unlaundered tshirt of yours. (baby learns how to tell who mom is by her voice and her smell.) Before you lay baby down into the bassinet remove hot water bottle and tshirt and check to make sure that the spot isn't to hot.

Sometimes when I needed to shower and hubby had to take care of the boys for me he'd throw one of my unlaundered shirts over his shoulder so baby could smell that. It would soothe baby and give me the time I needed for myself and make things a lil easier for daddy.

good luck!

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Yep, it's extremely normal. You could try sidecarring the crib to give you and your husband more room.

I would avoid using the recliner though, that's dangerous cosleeping. Sleep in your bed with the baby, or put him in a crib/bassinet right against your bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)