Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Newborn weight loss**UPDATE**

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 6:01 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son is a little over a week old.  He was 7lbs 10oz at birth and as of today he is 6lbs 11oz so that is almost a pound loss which ends up being 14% of his body weight.  He is formula fed and is eating 16-18oz a day.  I go back to the doctor in the morning but she said come monday if he isn't at least the same weight or a weight gain she will be sending us to the childrens hospital for testing.  Im trying not to freak out but its hard!  Anyone else went through this?

Update-My baby was admitted to the childrens hospital yesterday!  After watching him for 24 hours and him still losing they came to me tonight and said he was not eating enough calories so they are mixing his formula different now so it has higher calories.  Im not sure how long we will be here but its going to be a while!  They said he should be havving 450 to 500 calories a day. Regular formula has 20 calories per ounce and now he is getting 22 per ounce and he will be on that one to two days then they will go up to 24 calories per ounce and hopefully keep him on that.  I will update when I find more out!

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM
He should be eating more than that. I think 24-30 ounces a day.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I breastfeed, so no advice on formula- but for a breastfed baby, weight loss is normal. They should be back up to birth weight around two weeks, but some take longer.

Im not sure if it's different for a formula fed baby, none of my kids ever had a bottle.

s_roachy
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:06 PM

My daughter lost almost a pound after she was born, and she started gaining it back about a week after. A nurse came to our house to check her weight and we had to bring her to the doctor a couple of times to monitor it. She was breastfed, though, so I don't know how much she was eating in oz. She then gained it back quickly and now is in the 90th percentile for her weight at 7 months. Hope everything is okay for you! 

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Up the formula and feed more frequently. How many wet and poopy diapers is he having? Is he sleepy, jaundiced?
sweetpeasmom200
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:39 PM

He is having about 10 to 12 wet diapers a day and 3 to 4 poop diapers a day.  He has no jaundice but I think I need to move his feedings to ever two hours and see how she does.  I read online that he should be eating 2.5oz per pound of weight a day so at 7lbs he should be eating about 17.5oz which he is right under so I think moving his feedings closer would help.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Up the formula and feed more frequently. How many wet and poopy diapers is he having? Is he sleepy, jaundiced?

oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Baby should only lose a lil bit of weight when they come home from the hospital. My daughter did and she just ate and ate.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Were you given a lot of fluids during labour through an IV? That can cause baby to register more weight loss.

sweetpeasmom200
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Yes I had a lot of IV fluid the week leading up to my c-section.  I had the flu and ended up getting 3 bags of fluid then a week later I had two bags before my c-section then Im assuming more during the surgery.  I had bad morning sickness all through my pregnancy and went a total of 9 times to get IV fluids.

Quoting Randi02:

Were you given a lot of fluids during labour through an IV? That can cause baby to register more weight loss.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:15 PM

The two bags right before your c section would do it. They can cause the baby to retain water, making the birth weight seem higher than it would be without the fluids. That weight your baby lost was mostly water. At a week old, his tummy is smaller than a Ping pong ball, so he needs small but frequent feedings.

Quoting sweetpeasmom200:

Yes I had a lot of IV fluid the week leading up to my c-section.  I had the flu and ended up getting 3 bags of fluid then a week later I had two bags before my c-section then Im assuming more during the surgery.  I had bad morning sickness all through my pregnancy and went a total of 9 times to get IV fluids.

Quoting Randi02:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I'm not sure, bump!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)