Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I have two questions about my eight month old

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm going to try. I am concerned about my eight month old for two reasons, both of which I have expressed to his doctor but she wasn't concerned. I need some insight from other moms and hopefully I'll feel more comfortable with the doctor's opinion. The first thing is that my son has yet to sit for a long period of time by himself. I can sit him down and he'll stay there for a couple of minutes, but only to topple over and he's very unsteady. I'm conerned because he's crawling and pulling up and standing, but just not sitting all that much. It doesn't make any sense to me. The second thing conerning me is that he still wakes up a lot during the night. 4 or 5 times.. But not for a feed. He kicks his legs like he has gas or an upset stomach and cries and i have to readjust him in order for him to fall back asleep. It is not only concerning for me but also a little frusterating as I'm a stay at home mom and I'm always with him so I would like to be fully rested instead of feeling like a zombie throughout the day. Thank you in advance!

by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Replies (41-45):
m0m0f0ne
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:48 PM
I wouldn't be concerned about him not sitting for long periods, his abb muscles could still be developing. You could always try baby exercises to help strengthen his core. Grab a yoga ball or a rocker, sit him on it (hold on to his hips really well) and rock him back and forth or around in circles slowly so that he finds his center of balance.
Also, I love sleep and need it to be able to function. I completely understand the frusteration of not getting enough sleep. My son tried to wake the same way. Maybe teething? Or maybe gas? Tummy time before bed might help if its gas.
lenashark
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM

While I don't exactly like op's attitutde with some of the answers, she does not need to feed him solids more than twice a day, she doesn't need to feed him solids at all. They are not a necessary thing at 8 months as long as shes breastfeeding on demand.

Quoting ABCMomma0211: He needs to be fed more then twice a day.... How many times is he nursing a day?
Quoting LeslieGahn:

Quoting ABCMomma0211: Well right there is the damn problem!!!! He needs ti be fed more then twice a day!!!!!! And try giving him gas drops if he has gas! And if constipated give an ounce if apple juice He should still be gettig at least three bottles of formula or be getting breastmilk. Smh
Quoting LeslieGahn:

Quoting awesomemommy2: Could he have gas. How many new foods are you exposing him to per day? He Could have a food intolerance. Also I found with my kids (I have three) that around 9 months their sleep changed. How much does he nap during the day. Also teething plays a large part in sleep. My kids were all different and there are so many variables.

Yeah i'm thinking its gas but its every single night. He's currently got two teeth and I think a third is coming through. He naps for 1-2 hours in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon. I only feed him once a day, sometimes twice if he's up for it. But it seems to constipate him when I feed him anymore more solids than that. Also, I forgot to mention he's breastfed.

His doctor does not agree that he needs to be fed baby food more than twice a day. We nurse on demand.

ABCMomma0211
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM

i never once said to feed him solids more then twice a day. 

i just asked how many times she was nursing him a day, and that he needs to be fed more then that....

Quoting lenashark:

While I don't exactly like op's attitutde with some of the answers, she does not need to feed him solids more than twice a day, she doesn't need to feed him solids at all. They are not a necessary thing at 8 months as long as shes breastfeeding on demand.

Quoting ABCMomma0211: He needs to be fed more then twice a day.... How many times is he nursing a day?
Quoting LeslieGahn:

Quoting ABCMomma0211: Well right there is the damn problem!!!! He needs ti be fed more then twice a day!!!!!! And try giving him gas drops if he has gas! And if constipated give an ounce if apple juice He should still be gettig at least three bottles of formula or be getting breastmilk. Smh
Quoting LeslieGahn:

Quoting awesomemommy2: Could he have gas. How many new foods are you exposing him to per day? He Could have a food intolerance. Also I found with my kids (I have three) that around 9 months their sleep changed. How much does he nap during the day. Also teething plays a large part in sleep. My kids were all different and there are so many variables.

Yeah i'm thinking its gas but its every single night. He's currently got two teeth and I think a third is coming through. He naps for 1-2 hours in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon. I only feed him once a day, sometimes twice if he's up for it. But it seems to constipate him when I feed him anymore more solids than that. Also, I forgot to mention he's breastfed.

His doctor does not agree that he needs to be fed baby food more than twice a day. We nurse on demand.

lenashark
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:58 PM

When she's talking about "feeding" him, she's talking about things other than breastmilk. She already said that she nurses on demand. She's not only nursing him once or twice a day.

Quoting ABCMomma0211:

i never once said to feed him solids more then twice a day. 

i just asked how many times she was nursing him a day, and that he needs to be fed more then that....

Quoting lenashark:

Quoting LeslieGahn:

Quoting LeslieGahn:

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:04 AM
Your little one is progressing just fine. He's still pretty top heavy to sit up unassisted for long periods of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)