Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Update-How long do I have to start breastfeeding?

Update- So, I'm trying to establish a good latch, we're working on it! I waited a couple of days to start bc I had taken Norco after my c section for pain, so I wanted to stop that, get it out of my system. So we're working on latching and I'm hoping it's right. I've been watching a ton of you tube videos on it. All of your suggestions have been super helpful!!!

So, I had a baby on 2/28. I started formula feeding but my breasts are still leaking, especially when I hold my son. I sort of feel this beautiful pull to bf my baby. It sounds stupid I guess but it's almost like he's willing me to. I have a 6 year old daughter and my milk was gone pretty quickly after I had her. But not this time. So, my question is, could I still start? How SHOULD I start if so?
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:47 PM
Replies (31-39):
expectantmom81
by Erin on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM
So glad that it seems to be working out for you.
carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:23 PM
Yay!!! If the latch isnt painful, its probably right. Incorrect latches hurt. Like baby is chewing your nipple instead of sucking.
PeachySweet2007
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM
It was painful at first but it's getting better. I have to remember the "get as much areola in baby's mouth as possible" thing. He's pretty vigorous, but I have no idea if enough is coming out. I can still hand express some milk, though. I haven't tried the pump yet.

Quoting carsonsmommytam: Yay!!! If the latch isnt painful, its probably right. Incorrect latches hurt. Like baby is chewing your nipple instead of sucking.
PeachySweet2007
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Thanks!

Quoting expectantmom81: So glad that it seems to be working out for you.
PeachySweet2007
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Thanks!

Quoting OrganicMomma247: You can do it! Good luck. Let us know how it goes!
OrganicMomma247
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM
One trick I was taught was "nipple to nose" - it forces baby to open his mouth big as well as helps you get into the right line up for latching. Also make sure he's close to you, bring him close, not yourself.

The more he nurses the more he will build your supply. It may take a little bit but keep at it, soon you'll be producing his needs.

Make sure your drinking lots of water; every feeding have a glass of water.

Feel free to msg me if you want. Sometimes it's just good to have a venting place.

Quoting PeachySweet2007: It was painful at first but it's getting better. I have to remember the "get as much areola in baby's mouth as possible" thing. He's pretty vigorous, but I have no idea if enough is coming out. I can still hand express some milk, though. I haven't tried the pump yet.

Quoting carsonsmommytam: Yay!!! If the latch isnt painful, its probably right. Incorrect latches hurt. Like baby is chewing your nipple instead of sucking.
PeachySweet2007
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much! Those are excellent tips. I will message you, as I have lots of questions!

Quoting OrganicMomma247: One trick I was taught was "nipple to nose" - it forces baby to open his mouth big as well as helps you get into the right line up for latching. Also make sure he's close to you, bring him close, not yourself.

The more he nurses the more he will build your supply. It may take a little bit but keep at it, soon you'll be producing his needs.

Make sure your drinking lots of water; every feeding have a glass of water.

Feel free to msg me if you want. Sometimes it's just good to have a venting place.

Quoting PeachySweet2007: It was painful at first but it's getting better. I have to remember the "get as much areola in baby's mouth as possible" thing. He's pretty vigorous, but I have no idea if enough is coming out. I can still hand express some milk, though. I haven't tried the pump yet.

carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Yeah, if its getting better thats great. It hurts at first but if the latch was wrong it wouldnt get better. The pump is no indicator of milk supply. As long as he has at least 6 diapers in 24hr, you have enough :)

dafny
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:49 PM

My daughter had a hard time sucking and I got her to start breastfeeding at 4 months so I think you still have hope. I bought these silicone nipple shields. they come in a few sizes my fist mistake was to buy the smallest size because I thought is should be the size of my nipple. but then my lactation consultant told me to buy the bigger one and its not a problem it its big its easier for the baby to latch onto that. its hard enough for you to push it in babys mouth even if baby doent open all the way. so you put it on your nipple and once baby latches on that nicely you can wean her off it. My baby was bottle fed in the beginning. once I saw she is getting it I stopped her bottles. she lost weight in the first few weeks becasue she wasnt so good at it. but then she learnt and continued gaining weight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN