Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NOT looking for a debate just need real information. circ vs non-circ.

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM
  • 8 Replies
Looking for real information and studies and etc om benefits on circ vs non circ
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I did some research before I had my son. My memory sucks so I can't remember details, but what I do remember was that pretty much every issue that could arise from not having them circ'd could be resolved by having them circ'd later on. It is also my understanding that they aren't numbed when they are circ'd as a newborn, but if it is done later they can be numbed. I know they say they won't remember it, but my heart just couldn't handle him being so new and hurting because of it. So my take on it is that I would rather not do it now, and have the possibility of taking care of it later, than doing it now and not being able to undo it, if that makes sense.. Also the thought of having a cut open in the diaper area and then him pooing and peeing all around it just didn't seem safe.. I know its done all the time, but its another reason that it is better for him to be circ'd when he is older if the need arises.

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

We did a lot of research before deciding. We also spoke with baby's doctor.

abra
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM

This is really only something you (as the parent) can decide. I would recommend talking to your doctor and talking to friends who have circed and friends who have not. Ask the guys, their insight is really valuable since they actually have first hand experience. 

I found this article written well about the pros and cons generally: 
http://artofmanliness.com/2009/02/22/clip-the-tip-pointcounterpoint-on-male-circumcision/ 

Here is a description of the different types of methods: http://www.britpro.com/default.asp?p=procedure

Both our sons had a traditional circumcision using a shield (the first one described). We decided to get it done for religious reasons. It took a few seconds to make the cut and it was over, just like that! This method takes off the least amount of skin (leaving all membranes intact keeping all feeling unharmed) and it doesn't even look like they had circumcisions -- it just looks like they have naturally less foreskin. I

t is my understanding that the reason most people do it in infancy is because the risk of complication is much greater the older they get.  Healing is also said to be worlds more painful in adult circumcisions. The reason they don't usually use numbing agents during infant circs is that, depending on what method you choose, the numbing could be more painful then the actual circumcision. We found that to be true for both my sons (I got to hold them and watch both times).  

Someone asked me about our experience with my first son's (Jude) bris. Here is the link to that conversation: http://www.cafemom.com/group/babies/forums/read/14298537/Question_for_Abra

Hopefully those links will be helpful. I'm hoping nobody here will give you a hard time, but often this topic gets heated pretty quickly. If that happens, just ignore the meanies. :-) Best of luck to you! 

KylersMom8-16-7
    by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    Most reasons to do it are myths. It's not cleaner, the biggest complaint is smegma build up but women have smegma too. It's not harder to clean, you just clean what you see. You should NEVER retract the foreskin EVER, it's actually connected to the head of the penis. Forcefully retracting the foreskin is what increases infection risk. It may increase UTI risk by 1-2% but girls have a much higher risk (about 8%) and we would never remove a part of them to prevent it. It doesn't decrease STD/STIs at all. Circumcision removes 20,000-30,000 nerves. A penis in it's erect state looks no different (once the foreskin naturally retracts.) Circumcision has many more risks then not circumcising; scarring, chronic pain, infection, amputation, even death...

I had my oldest two circumcised without doing any research. I regret making the decision for them and chose to not have my next two sons circumcised after tons of research. They can decide as adults if they want it done but I hope they never feel the need because they should be happy as they are. I find many women thinks it's disgusting to not be circumcised but it shouldn't matter.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Sebbiemama
    by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Here are a few factual (not preachy or overly dramatic and from respected medical sources) articles/studies discussing pros and cons. Congrats on the baby boy!

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2012/08/22/peds.2012-1990

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/prevention/research/malecircumcision/

allrighty2
    by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I'll be upfront.  I am anti circ and I visit anti-circ sites frequently.  I am also a regret mom, as I regret that I  circed my son (back when people did it without much thought).  I have also lived in Egypt where female circumcision is prevalent.  Deciding to cut off your baby boy's foreskin is no different than deciding to cut off your baby girl's clitoral hood. 

I find that parents who cut off foreskins for non religious reasons do so because "everyone else is doing it" and you don't want your son to be left out or considered odd.  However, out side the USA hardly any men are circumcised, and women from these non circumcising cultures find circumcision odd and prefer intact penises.  Uncirced men do not have any trouble finding sex partners.  Circ rates are also falling in the USA.  Some areas as low as 50%.

Please do not cut off any parts you don't know anything about.  If you cant name the parts and function of the foreskin, you haven't done enough research.  You should at least know what you are cutting off.

Here is also a good video on the ethics of circumcision, which might help you make a decision:

full 30 minute full video "Elephant in the Hospital":

10 minute condensed video "Elephant in the Hospital": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGnpdO4iKQ0

Here a cafemom asked if anyone had complications with circ:

myempyreofdirt
    by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:28 PM
    I spoke with several doctors on the subject before ds was born. The general consensus was that circumcision is neither dangerous nor particularly beneficial. An uncircumcised boy will have to be taught to clean himself properly, but that's no different than any child. We decided not to circ. Health wise it just didn't seem necessary. I do worry that he'll be embarrassed by it if most of the other boys are circ'd. Dh and I decided if that happens, we will consider taking him to get it done.
    mommyhonu
    by Mary on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:41 PM

this

Quoting la_bella_vita:

We did a lot of research before deciding. We also spoke with baby's doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)