Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Refusing to nurse

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:10 PM
  • 10 Replies
Little boy turned 3 months this past Saturday. Since he was 4 days old, we've breastfed and formula fed. He's had no issues going back and forth (I use a nipple shield as mine are too flat).

On Monday he got a bit of a cold, some vouching but mostly sneezing and congestion. He had nursed in the morning (I'm a SAHM so we nurse unless we're out in public or he's eating too much and I'm too tired), but that afternoon he flat out REFUSED either breast. There was nothing else he could have wanted, and he screamed at me for 5-10 minutes until I made him a bottle. He downed it and passed out.

Yesterday he was fine nursing all day, but napped a lot (he was just out of sorts. Still kind of sneezy but better). Last night, again he refused me and downed a bottle.

Today, he nursed at 8, was hungry again at 11 and refused me. I have him a bottle and he napped for an hour. He woke up screaming, dry diaper etc. I got him to calm down, and he got hungry-fussy again around 1:30, and again refused me. He ate 2 oz formula (he eats 4 oz at a time, with the occasional 2 oz to top him off if he's still hungry, usually before bed).

In general he is the most easy-going, good-natured baby. He's never refused my breast before. I have a bit of a cold now since yesterday, and the first medicine I took was Sudafed last night before bed. He's never had an issue with anything I've eaten, and I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary. Could this just be a phase? I haven't called his doctor, because he's still generally happy, no fever, and is still eating. We think he may be teething (comes from a family of early teethers; he's been drooly, randomly fussy for no reason, and has a soft spot on his bottom gums where we can just start to see something coming in), so I don't know if that's part of the issue, but he won't chew on teething toys or even a cold washcloth.

Sorry this is so long, just hoping anyone out there has any ideas or suggestions for me.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JackAttacks
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:16 PM

sudafed has a decongestant in it. decongestants tend to cause a temporary dip in supply. perhaps he is having to work harder for the let down because of the dip and thats why he wants a quick easy flowing bottle instead?

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like bottle preference.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Mom2Just1: Sounds like bottle preference.

That's what I'm thinking

staci1103
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Have u asked in the breast feeding group here?  They always have great advice to offer

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this
This is a common time for a nipple preference to crop up. They begin to become aware of the fact that they can make choices and refuse to do stuff.

If you want to continue nursing, you must follow the first rule of bottle feeding, which is that mom is never the one to offer a bottle. If you're fine giving him formula, that's up to you, but you shouldn't be present when it's given. Also, make sure to use slow flow nipples, and give caregiver instructions on bottle feeding a breastfed baby.

If you don't care if he nurses or not, then continue what you're doing.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Bottle preference. Bottles flow freely while nursing takes effort. Over time babies can get lazy. The other issue could be low supply due to not nursing enough. Breastmilk is a if you don't use it, you'll lose it sort of thing.

If you want to breastfeed then you may need to drop the bottle completely unless you are gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

It could also be the congestion.  He could be having a hard time breathing while nursing and it's easier to breathe on the bottle.

MamaShepowski
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Thanks ladies! He's doing better with both the congestion and nursing today. I'll definitely keep the bottle thing in mind. His dad usually gives him the bottles, but I'll try to avoid them even more.
jupiter5
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:33 PM
Can you pump and slowly stop formula?
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Also, get breast SHELLS to wear between feedings. They will help bring your nipples out. There is also a gadget called a "latch assist" that you can use right before nursing to bring them out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)