Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

She Found Her Thumb :/ HELP

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:44 PM
  • 18 Replies

This little one is Isabella,my fiesty two month old and we have discovered those wittle fingers AND now her thumb.I typically keep a set of mittins on her hands at one point to keep her from scratching herself but now it's turned into hiding her hands and thumbs because she keeps them in that mouth.It use to work but hubby & I found she still keeps her hands in her mouth even with the mittens on soaking them in drool.WhenI take them off she goes on the attack. Hubby even suggested putting some lime juice on her hand we have here at home (leave it to men **rolling eyes**) I told him NO because I knew at some point her hand would make it to her eyes and I don't need to deal with that. Mommies that have OR currently dealing with this how have you coped ? Have you been able to stop them. I know from all the talk I've heard over the years to stop them when you see them but at the same time I know GF is going through a discovery period with learning about her body parts. Should I leave it be or start trying to nip it in the bud :/ Thanks 

simple smile

by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM
It's a bit early to worry about it becoming a habit:-) She just found her hands and it's normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:08 PM
My second is a thumb sucker. He will
Stop when he so ready.
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:10 PM
I don't see the problem. We don't use baby mitts past the first few days, I just cut the nails.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iHEAVENn
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:15 PM

o.0

0.o

I would let her. lol. As long as her hands are clean, it is helping her devlop... Now say when she is one or two if she is still doing it, then yes address it. 

-:Logan Jacob:--:December 1st 2007:--:7 Pounds 4 Ounces:- -:My Everything:- 

-:Hunter Xavier:--:EDD 7-12-14:-

baby development

mommyhonu
by Mary on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:35 PM

My LO was a thumb sucker for less than a month. It sounds like normal discovery as well as maybe some teething. When LOs teethe they like to gnaw on things. I wouldn't be overly concerned with it.

SandraB383
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My first was a paci baby and my second was and still is (at 4 yrs old) a thumb sucker. So after my third was born I knew I did NOT want to let her be a thumb sucker like my son. When she found her thumb like yours is I would always take it out and/or put a pacifier in her mouth. A pacifier habit is much easier to break than a thumb sucking one.

Dragonmamas
by Ari on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:49 PM

More likely than not nothing will come of it. She is just discovering her hands:)

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:58 PM
My only thumb sucker stopped on her own around 6-8months? I can't quite remember.

Is she breastfed? If so, you can almost guarantee it won't be a problem. The breast is much more appealing! If she's not, then she needs a way to meet her oral needs. Does she take a paci?
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Never tried to stop them. It's a part of their development. They did it mostly when teething, so I just treated teething pain.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

dreamarrow
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Both of my boys would "eat" their hands all the time from about 3-7 or so months. One of them started to suck his thumb but that ended quickly. They're almost 17 months and they haven't done it since.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)