Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

She Found Her Thumb :/ HELP

This little one is Isabella,my fiesty two month old and we have discovered those wittle fingers AND now her thumb.I typically keep a set of mittins on her hands at one point to keep her from scratching herself but now it's turned into hiding her hands and thumbs because she keeps them in that mouth.It use to work but hubby & I found she still keeps her hands in her mouth even with the mittens on soaking them in drool.WhenI take them off she goes on the attack. Hubby even suggested putting some lime juice on her hand we have here at home (leave it to men **rolling eyes**) I told him NO because I knew at some point her hand would make it to her eyes and I don't need to deal with that. Mommies that have OR currently dealing with this how have you coped ? Have you been able to stop them. I know from all the talk I've heard over the years to stop them when you see them but at the same time I know GF is going through a discovery period with learning about her body parts. Should I leave it be or start trying to nip it in the bud :/ Thanks 

simple smile

by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Replies (11-18):
ANaturalMama84
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:04 PM

She is BF and paci is our friend..most times.I notice sometimes she'll pop it ouy and the thumbs and fingers go in

Quoting SewingMamaLele: My only thumb sucker stopped on her own around 6-8months? I can't quite remember. Is she breastfed? If so, you can almost guarantee it won't be a problem. The breast is much more appealing! If she's not, then she needs a way to meet her oral needs. Does she take a paci?

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM
She's developing coordination that she will need when she's old enough to eat solid food.
Chelsey191
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Ds wore two pairs of thick baby socks on his hands. After a month he gave up trying.
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:32 AM
Nurse on demand and let her suck on her thumb if she wants. It'll pass, don't stress about it.

Quoting ANaturalMama84:

She is BF and paci is our friend..most times.I notice sometimes she'll pop it ouy and the thumbs and fingers go in

Quoting SewingMamaLele: My only thumb sucker stopped on her own around 6-8months? I can't quite remember.

Is she breastfed? If so, you can almost guarantee it won't be a problem. The breast is much more appealing! If she's not, then she needs a way to meet her oral needs. Does she take a paci?

jenbah81
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:42 AM
My last one does but only when she is sleepy or gets mad at me. This is new to me. My first didn't take anything and he middle 2 took binkis but they wereeasy to break of it, i am not sure yet what i will do so I am of no help.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:15 PM

All of my kid's sucked their thumbs and stopped around age 1

s_roachy
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Just let her. I sucked my fingers until I was in kindergarten (I decided on my own I wanted to quit and started wearing mittens to bed). No big deal, I turned out fine. :) 

expectantmom81
by Erin on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:56 PM
You don't need to worry yet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN