Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

he wont sit himself up

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM
  • 17 Replies
My son is 8 months and he can stay sitting up without support, he army crawls, but he has shown no interest in sitting himself up from a laying possition. I know it may be a bit early to be concerned, but is there anything I can do to help him learn this? I have no idea why he isn't even trying.
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newbieann
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

When he is laying down, let him grab your thumbs and give a little pull. He will pull himself up with your help and eventually do it on his own. 

babyliz13
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:38 AM

My 8 month old is sitting up by herself and if she falls down and wants to get back up she does try to get up but we still have to help her. She tries to crawl but isn't that good at it yet so she just tends to roll around on the floor. I don't know why he isn't at least trying to get up on his on.

Like the reply before mine said try giving him your thumbs so he can try to pull up by himself for the most part. That's what I do with my daughter. She gets that if she wants to get up soemtimes she has to try it this way first.

abra
by Abra on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Its nothing to worry about! My first was that way. She didn't even crawl (Apart from army crawling) until she was 12 months old and didn't walk til she was 18 months old. She is 8 years old now and totally caught up!
JackAttacks
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

mine is 8months too and wont sit himself up yet. hes happy, healthy, and alert so i figure he will just do it in his own good time. he isnt crawling yet either.

supercarp
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

If he is frequently in a chair of some kind, then he isn't given much opportunity to build up his muscles and coordination. Give him more tummy time and don't do everything for him.

lilcsmomi
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I started teaching mine how to sit up. Like how the leg goes under, hands in front. He caught on pretty quick. But beware they just don't stop after that. Mine is 10mos old and has been walking for a month, and now trys to climb everthing higher than an inch. I never knew such a tiny person could get into sooo many things. This is one worn out momi.
m0m0f0ne
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
This helped so much. Thanks for calming my worries. I hope he gets mobile sooner than that,but I'm not rushing lol

Quoting abra: Its nothing to worry about! My first was that way. She didn't even crawl (Apart from army crawling) until she was 12 months old and didn't walk til she was 18 months old. She is 8 years old now and totally caught up!
m0m0f0ne
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:57 PM
So glad he isn't alone. I read that he should be able to sit himself up at a laying down possition and I noticed he doesn't even try. I try to remember that all kids mature differently, but its discouraging sometimes

Quoting JackAttacks:

mine is 8months too and wont sit himself up yet. hes happy, healthy, and alert so i figure he will just do it in his own good time. he isnt crawling yet either.

JackAttacks
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:00 PM
I know I sometimes get discouraged too. Especially when people are adding what he's doing lately. I have to talk myself down sometimes. I just say well he's trying real hard to do xyz

Quoting m0m0f0ne: So glad he isn't alone. I read that he should be able to sit himself up at a laying down possition and I noticed he doesn't even try. I try to remember that all kids mature differently, but its discouraging sometimes

Quoting JackAttacks:

m0m0f0ne
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Yeah, part of me hates the parenting books because it just makes me nervous. I usually ignore books and go with my instinct. Is your sons name jack?! I tried so hard to get my husband to pick that name...no luck.

Quoting JackAttacks: I know I sometimes get discouraged too. Especially when people are adding what he's doing lately. I have to talk myself down sometimes. I just say well he's trying real hard to do xyz

Quoting m0m0f0ne: So glad he isn't alone. I read that he should be able to sit himself up at a laying down possition and I noticed he doesn't even try. I try to remember that all kids mature differently, but its discouraging sometimes

Quoting JackAttacks:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)