Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Best formula to give a breastfed baby?

Posted by   + Show Post
I want to give my baby formula at night. Which would be best?
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Replies (61-70):
Earthling
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM
5 moms liked this
I don't know why people expect to be able to sleep once they have a baby, nursed or formula fed. lol I thought sleeplessness was a well known parenting side effect.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Wouldn't give formula, it will just cause an upset stomach.
Nurse laying down in your bed.
I coslept, and usually slept through all the night time feedings.
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like your Fiancee is the big issue on why you can't sleep maybe try moving to another room to sleep for a night or two so you can get good sleep. 

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM
It's a total myth formula babies sleep better. No formula will be anywhere near as good as breastmilk, ever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Exactly! I have a 6yo, 5yo, 2.5yo, and 9 week old and haven't slept a full night since my first was born! I just deal with it lol:-)

Quoting Earthling: I don't know why people expect to be able to sleep once they have a baby, nursed or formula fed. lol I thought sleeplessness was a well known parenting side effect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyJill87
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:17 PM
None.
amberNewman0213
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont understand regaurdless if u give formula or breastmilk u still have to wake up to feed him? And with formula probably more often. breastfeeding releases horomones in both you and baby to help you both be relaxed and get good sleep.

Quoting greenlove2013: Yeah I tried those and none work because he rolls all over the place

Quoting nocalmegan: So push your bed up against the wall. Or put a pool noodle under the sheet. Or get a co-sleeper. There's a million ways lol. Dh is an extremely heavy sleeper and I've been co- sleeping safely for over a year now.

Quoting greenlove2013: I cant do that. My fiance is a heavy sleeper and has rolled on him before so its not safe. I have to sit up and feed him

Quoting hnischke: Nurse your baby in a side laying position so you both get rest.
CocoMama88
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Its absolutely not a sure way too get a baby to sleep through the night or even for longer. Cosleeping was amazing for me. by 5 months she would unclip my shirt, eat and fall asleep. Never had to get up to make a bottle or rock or anything.

Quoting greenlove2013: I really hate breastfeeding at night, I never get enough sleep and I hate pumping

Quoting scraphappy12: Most will say none :) my older child's pedi told us to supplement with soy, but that was 10 years ago. There are formulas for supplementation that have a higher vitamin d content you could use. I don't think it will matter. If you need a break can you give pumped milk? But technically you should pump every missed feeding or your supply could drop. Good luck with whatever you decide :)
jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM
No formula is best. It depends on baby.

My oldest was formula fed and hardly slept. Formula doesn't guarantee sleep. Baby will sleep more when ready. I have a 5 year, 2 3 year olds, a 2 year old, and a 2.5 month old. I'm chronically sleep deprived but I know it won't last and before I know it they'll be all grown up.
chairhead28
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:41 PM
If you don't want your supply to dip, don't supplement with formula.

I'm not sure as to which formula is "better". I would guess start with a sensitive kind because formula is MUCH harder on the baby's gut than breast milk is.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)