Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Long car ride with baby who HATES the car?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 7:46 PM
  • 11 Replies
DS is 10 weeks old and we're planning a car trip for next week. It's usually about 9 hours, without a newborn. The problem is he HATES the car. Like, bloodcurdling screams, hates the car. I've adjusted and readjusted the straps to make sure he's comfortable. He has a mirror to see me. I've even tried waiting until he's asleep but he always wakes up and cries. He starts screaming before I can even get the car started. Any advice on traveling with a baby who hates the car?
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Get the car started and be ready to start driving immediately after you get the kid in.
Prepare to make a lot of stops.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LeapBaby123
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Oh, I'm prepared to stop at least every hour, if not more frequently. He won't even take a paci, so that's not an option. I just hate hearin him scream an he ends up soaking wet in sweat :(

Quoting polkaspots: Get the car started and be ready to start driving immediately after you get the kid in.
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:18 PM
That's all I've got. Maybe he could use a different car seat? If he's still in an infant seat he might be more comfortable in a bigger seat.

Quoting LeapBaby123: Oh, I'm prepared to stop at least every hour, if not more frequently. He won't even take a paci, so that's not an option. I just hate hearin him scream an he ends up soaking wet in sweat :(

Quoting polkaspots: Get the car started and be ready to start driving immediately after you get the kid in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessymoka
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:54 PM
When my daughter was a month old we took the six hour drive (not counting stops) to my parents house.
It was awful! She hates the car too. She cried the entire trip except for our stops where she was out of the seat.
She also had colic.
It was an awful ride. I told my parents that I felt awful, but that we wouldn't be making the trip again until she was better in the car.
I wish I could give you some good advice, but we had a miserable trip driving... I DREADED our ride home.
Best of luck to you.
LeapBaby123
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:21 PM
We actually just got him a bigger seat in hopes that was his problem. He hates it equally :/

Quoting polkaspots: That's all I've got. Maybe he could use a different car seat? If he's still in an infant seat he might be more comfortable in a bigger seat.

Quoting LeapBaby123: Oh, I'm prepared to stop at least every hour, if not more frequently. He won't even take a paci, so that's not an option. I just hate hearin him scream an he ends up soaking wet in sweat :(

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Damn. I've got nothing then. Time it so that he is ready for a long nap when you leave.

Quoting LeapBaby123: We actually just got him a bigger seat in hopes that was his problem. He hates it equally :/

Quoting polkaspots: That's all I've got. Maybe he could use a different car seat? If he's still in an infant seat he might be more comfortable in a bigger seat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LeapBaby123
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Yeah... He's a "high needs" baby (colicky) too so I'm not looking forward to it. I've actually talked to DH about breaking it into two days and stopping at a hotel for the night.

Quoting jessymoka: When my daughter was a month old we took the six hour drive (not counting stops) to my parents house.
It was awful! She hates the car too. She cried the entire trip except for our stops where she was out of the seat.
She also had colic.
It was an awful ride. I told my parents that I felt awful, but that we wouldn't be making the trip again until she was better in the car.
I wish I could give you some good advice, but we had a miserable trip driving... I DREADED our ride home.
Best of luck to you.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM

You've tried everything I was going to suggest, good luck!

mommyhonu
by Mary on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I can understand your situation. My youngest loathed the car seat. I'm sorry I don't have any advice. It was a phase for my youngest had. Now that he's 4 he understands that he HAS to be in the car seat.

Sometimes I would have to sit in the back seat with him and hold onto his foot. Sometimes it helped other times it didn't just depended on his mood.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:22 PM

My middle child(dd) was the worse car rider!  We used to travel all the time until she was born and after she was born we went to visit family(8hrs) away and I said that is it we are done it sucked!  My biggest suggestion is try to travel when he is the most tired so if he will sleep at all in the car travel at night.  It is darker so less stimuli keeping him awake and try to make your stops less frequent but for longer times if possible.  Young kids and babies don't get time so to them they are stuck in a seat being held down and not in your arms prolonging the trip won't help.  Make sure you have gas drops sometimes the cars can make their belly aches worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN