Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
is 4 months to young to start baby on rice cereal? what are the advantages of getting them started in rice cereal?
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 3:36 PM

We skip cereal all together. there's no real advantages to ever starting it. Babies don't have the digestive enzymes to process it correctly until after a year old, and it's baby junk food. What I do is wait until 6-8 months and start them with egg yolks, bananas, broccoli heads, etc.

mommymayapapaya
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I guess it depends on baby and pediatrician... I actually just took my baby for her 4 month well visit yesturday and he brought up the starting solids topic....he said   it was ok to start trying once a day if I wanted to (he addressed that many parents tend to want to start sooner than 6 months) but me personally, I told him I was more than ok to wait until 6 month (just felt more right to me plus we are traveling to puerto rico in a month and i dont want to deal with baby food on trip if i can avoid it. He also said that I could immediately start with fruits and veggies instead of rice cereal if I wanted (jsut one at a time) but get your ped. oppinion and see how well your baby is developing first
Quoting Babygurl2409: is 4 months to young to start baby on rice cereal? what are the advantages of getting them started in rice cereal?

Dragonmamas
by Ari on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Rice cereal is garbage. Skip it all together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Yes, it's way too young.

There are no advantages at all. Rice cereal is garbage.

heathercara
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Didn't use cereal at all. I think ppl use it to help fill up their bellies so they sleep better but that's all it does is sit in their belly.
Raeann11
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:38 PM

There are no advantages. My oldest was 6 months and then I learned some things and my second I only did it to thick baby food up. With my third I learned about baby led feeding and did that with her. She never had rice cereal.

Mrs.Velasquez
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Yes! Babies don't need or benefit from rice cereal. It's empty calories that they can not digest. If they can't push food to the back with their tongue, they are too young for any solid food. Research open gut or virgin gut.

We skipped all cereal and baby food. We went straight to lead solids at 7 1/2 months.
anxiousschk
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Wait until 6 months.  

waytomanykids10
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Out of 5 babies only one has ever had any form of baby food. My 13 month old is the only one that has baby food but no cereal. He gets it at therapy but it usually turns out to be a disaster so we have had to back down on working with him on eating. He can't even drink out of a bottle without gagging and then choking :(

My kids were all 6-8 months old and we started them on soft cooked food in chunchs. Puree's are just ridiculous, they just swallow it instead of learning how to chew.

pinkfairy0206
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Not trying to be rude, but really? ? YES! it is way to young!! I breastfed all of my 4 kids as babies. They didn't get any "food"till close to a year!! Why would a 4 month old need rice cereal??
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN