Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
is 4 months to young to start baby on rice cereal? what are the advantages of getting them started in rice cereal?
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Replies (31-39):
Shanon1
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM
I didn't start cereal till ds was 6 mos.. I would only do the cereal in the bottle if his ped recommended it for reflux. But ds didn'y have reflux, nor did he take a bottle so I just fed it to him w/ a spoon.
shiny76
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

my pedi told me at my sons 4 mo wellness check up it was ok to start oatmeal and rice ceral and some purees .... my son has been reaching for food for awhile i didn't actually start oatmeal until 4 1/2 months though he's 5 months now and me and DH decided to try banana's, he loves em....i understand peoples considers but honestly you should do what feels right for YOU and YOUR child.

Girlnboots
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM
If you have a formula baby, you also have to consider formula limits. If your baby is eating more than 32 oz of formula in a day, they need something more substantial.

I started putting a tiny amount of rice cereal in my baby's bottle at 4 months and it stopped her from spitting up immediately. It's definitely not anything I gave her for a "meal" though. I agree with rice cereal being bad for babies, but in my baby's case, it brought her from 35% to 48% in weight.

Also, I'm not sure what sources you guys have been reading, but every single thing I've read said to start food between 4-6 months (if you're doing purées) and anything outside of that range could cause intolerances and allergies. Including the current parenting magazine I read last night.

My ped said I could start purées at her 4 month appointment.

Basically, ask YOUR doctor and ignore everyone on here, including me.
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:58 PM
No advantage at all. No solids before six months. No cereal--grain products cannot be digested before one year. Purees and spoon feeding are not necessary. At a minimum of six months, when baby can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and can use pincer grasp to put food in her own mouth, nurse first then give her small pieces of whatever you're having.
dreamarrow
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Do whatever you feel is right. I attempted to start solids a little before 6 months but my babies didn't want anything to do with it till closer to 7 months. Any of the answers you got, you can go and find on Google yourself.
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Quoting Babygurl2409: I read an article for gerber babies and they said that 4 months was a good age to start and gerber is pretty well known but I thought I would ask on here as well

Gerber is a baby food/formula company. Of course they want you to spend money on their products!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

shortyali
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Any age is too young for that processed junk. Skip baby foods all together. Google baby lead solids. Once baby is 6 months, can sit unassisted, lost tongue thrust reflex, and has pincer grasp just give small pieces of what your eating. 100,000,000 times easier. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Babygurl2409
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:42 PM
im just wondering cause he is REALLY interested in food and I just feel like hes not getting enough when I nurse him.

Quoting shortyali:

Any age is too young for that processed junk. Skip baby foods all together. Google baby lead solids. Once baby is 6 months, can sit unassisted, lost tongue thrust reflex, and has pincer grasp just give small pieces of what your eating. 100,000,000 times easier. 

shortyali
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 9:29 PM
At this age I gave all of my babies plastic spoons and plates to play with. They had fun mimicking us eating. Then after 6 months I gave them bana slices or apples and they had an idea of what to so. Even when you do offer solids you still nurse first. Before 1 solids are only for play, not nutrition.

Quoting Babygurl2409: im just wondering cause he is REALLY interested in food and I just feel like hes not getting enough when I nurse him.

Quoting shortyali:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)