Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 month old not sleeping enough?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:16 AM
  • 6 Replies
I had read about the amount of sleep babies should get during a 24 hour period, and it said at 2 months they should get between 16-18 hours. Dd will be two months on Monday and sleeps between 11-14 hours a day. Is this ok? She doesn't act lethargic. Worst thing is she can get pretty fussy towards the end of the day from being up for so long. can this hurt her? Thanks
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SMTCMMoore
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:21 AM
It can hinder development. She grows and heals while sleeping. Does she not sleep cause she won't? Or do you not want her to?
miapia1020
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:34 AM
She's just wide awake a lot. If I try to get her to sleep she'll just sit there and coo at me, smile, play with her hands, etc.

Quoting SMTCMMoore: It can hinder development. She grows and heals while sleeping. Does she not sleep cause she won't? Or do you not want her to?
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Just follow her lead. Toss the books! They will drive you crazy. No baby follows the books anyways. Some kids require less sleep.
s_roachy
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM

My baby has never gotten the "recommended" amount of sleep, even now at 8 months and she is sleep trained. My mom told me that my sister and I were the same way when we were babies, just seemed to need less sleep. I talked to our pediatrician about it and she said since baby is on track developmentally, isn't cranky all the time, and is a healthy size, not to worry. I read somewhere that babies that need less sleep may be more intellectually gifted. Now I don't think that is backed by anything, haha, but I just tell myself that to make me feel better! :) 

Sebbiemama
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:16 AM

If she's wide awake and happy, then she might be fine with what she's getting. If she's getting fussy because she's tired, then yeah it's important to try to help her sleep more. Maybe add an extra nap in during the fussy period of the day? A real schedule is hard at 2 months - you just kind of do your best to follow her lead. 

And while yes babies need sleep for lots of important things, I don't know any babies in real life who slept well all the time. I'm sure being tired for a bit while you try to help her figure out her needs won't do any harm. As long as you TRY to help her get what she needs, that's all anyone can ask for. 

Quoting miapia1020: She's just wide awake a lot. If I try to get her to sleep she'll just sit there and coo at me, smile, play with her hands, etc.
Quoting SMTCMMoore: It can hinder development. She grows and heals while sleeping. Does she not sleep cause she won't? Or do you not want her to?

SMTCMMoore
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:03 AM
How cute!

But just do your best, some sleep more than others, if she's happy, healthy and gaining you're good.

If you WANT her to sleep more consider laying her down earlier than you think she's ready. See what happens?

Quoting miapia1020: She's just wide awake a lot. If I try to get her to sleep she'll just sit there and coo at me, smile, play with her hands, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)