Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vitamin supplement for newborns?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM
  • 17 Replies

Hi I'm a new mom, my baby is three weeks old and she exclusively breast feed. The pediatrician recommend vitamin supplement for vitamin A, C, and D. He recommended That one over the counter. I started giving it to her but I noticed that she is very fussy every time she finished taking my milk and when she poops. She strains like she is constipated but she is not. Her bowels are normal soft watery and mustard color because the breast milk.

i would really appreciate any comments or experiences you may had with over the counter vitamins and breast feed newborns

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I have 4 babies who were all exclusively breastfed, none of them were ever given supplements.

Take your baby out in the sun for a few minutes each day for vitamin D, or you can supplement yourself. All of those vitamins are found in breast milk, just keep nursing :)

Congrats on your new little baby!

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM
None of my kids took vitamins. D is found in sun. Just take baby in the sun for 15 minutes everyday.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:38 PM
My pediatrician suggested a vitamin D supplement but I decided just to take vitamin D myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubryJ
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:40 PM
It is unnecessary
jazzieel1
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM

It's  not needed. I didn't put any of my kids on vitamins until I no longer was breastfeeding them. (A mother of 5 children/ 20,19, 16, 10 yr. old., and a 20 mth.old.)

JadeTigr7
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, it's not needed.

I have five and have never given supplementation.

However, the straining to poop sounds normal though. Her digestive system is very new, it's still adjusting. 

KikiB85
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:54 PM
I bought it but have yet to use it. However my baby is fussy pooping or eating n just started medicine for reflux....
mommyhonu
by Mary on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I agree with this. I didn't use many vitamins with my oldest and never gave them to my younger 2.

Quoting Randi02:

I have 4 babies who were all exclusively breastfed, none of them were ever given supplements.

Take your baby out in the sun for a few minutes each day for vitamin D, or you can supplement yourself. All of those vitamins are found in breast milk, just keep nursing :)

Congrats on your new little baby!

waytomanykids10
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Not needed, never are needed unless you feed your kid crap. All those vitamins are man made, better to get them from natural foods.

Lotusblooming
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM

I was told to do the same for my lil girl (shes 3 months now) and she always acted like it upset her belly. I just don't give it to her and she seems to do better without it. I just tell the doc she is getting it so they won't bug me.  I am ebf also.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)