Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Holding baby too much?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:57 PM
  • 19 Replies

This isn't a question of am I spoiling my baby.  I just didn't know a better way to title this post lol

I'm concerned that my baby isn't getting enough time to develop her muscles.  She's two months old, and right now almost every single time I lay her flat (doesn't matter if she was fed an hour before or 2 minutes before) she spits up.  Usually multiple times.  She sleeps in a rock n play at night and usually naps in her swing during the day, although she doesn't nap very much at a time.  When she's not sleeping she's usually either being held or carried in a carrier like and ergo, mai tai, or wrap.  She will spend about a total of 45 minutes in her bouncy seat and we usually get around 40 minutes to an hour total of tummy/laying flat on our back time. 

Is this enough time for her to be developing her muscles? She's able to hold her head up while being carried and can lift herself on her stomach to her elbows and hold that for several minues, I'm just concerned because I was reading an article about allowing babies to "naturally develop" and not place them in a sitting position if they haven't reached that on their own.  The article talked about just letting their baby lay on the floor, but if I do that DD will either cry to be held or spit up multiple times.  I am a first time mom, so I know I'm probably way over-thinking this.  Thanks!

by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JackAttacks
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM
At that age an hour of tummy time is good. The spit up is just a laundry problem add long as she's not in pain from it. Mine was a big spit up guy too. I know it's frustrating.
Hafsa1
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Eh I'd say if she has head control partially and able to hold up her head while on tummy, she's doing just fine. Lots of babies don't like to lay flat especially if they spit up often.
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:05 PM

You are :)

Evandar will lay flat on his back for a few minutes(like 5-15 minutes) once or twice a day, othewise he's bein held, sitting in a seat, or on his tummy. He's very strong, and can roll sometimes if he wants to from being upset too long lol. The spitting up is likely just the underdevloped sphincter(which grows stronger on it's own with time), or if baby seems upset by the spit up or acts real fussy she could have reflux. Sour breath is a symptom of reflux as well. I think the sitting position they mean is like in a Bumbo... Those have been talked about for awhile for not allowing babies to learn to sit on their own, and not being good fo their backs. As long as baby isn't in the Bumbo all the time they will be okay.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM
You are overthinking it. You put your kid down at least a few times a day. That's good enough. I out my babies down on the floor more than a rocking chair because they have the opportunity to move more, but that's just what I prefer. They also never really did tummy time by themselves. This baby likes tummy time on the bed and on my calves, but he does not like it on the floor or the couch. You shouldn't not let your child lay by themselves because she might spit up. Spit up happens. Obviously when she becomes unhappy you should pick her up, but spit up doesn't usually bother babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miapia1020
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:23 PM
She cries when she spits up. Not like a pain cry, but she ends up getting all worked up over it. I still try to put her down at least until she gets to that point.

Quoting polkaspots: You are overthinking it. You put your kid down at least a few times a day. That's good enough. I out my babies down on the floor more than a rocking chair because they have the opportunity to move more, but that's just what I prefer. They also never really did tummy time by themselves. This baby likes tummy time on the bed and on my calves, but he does not like it on the floor or the couch. You shouldn't not let your child lay by themselves because she might spit up. Spit up happens. Obviously when she becomes unhappy you should pick her up, but spit up doesn't usually bother babies.
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I hold my babies all the time! Guess what? They reach milestones on time or early. They are also very confident because they know mom and dad are always there.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:26 PM
In wouldn't worry about it. I held my youngest or wore him in a carrier until he became mobile and he crawled and walked really early.

He did tummy time mostly on my lap or I would lay on the floor with him. He didn't like laying flat either until he was able to roll over.

Don't worry about it
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Then maybe a different approach would work. She can lay on your chest or on your calves (like you're going to do sit ups, except there's a baby eating your knees) All of my kids locked that, my four year old still asks me to do it to her. It's a real workout compared to my three month old. It's not that there will be any repercussions from not doing it, it's just kind of weird not to. To me it's more about the opportunity for the baby to have fun and learn new things. Babies do love being worn, but they also like to play and move their own bodies around. Your little one doesn't have to do her baby exercises (for lack of a better term) by herself. We do baby sit ups and silly games like that. The important part is to make it a pleasant experience.

Quoting miapia1020: She cries when she spits up. Not like a pain cry, but she ends up getting all worked up over it. I still try to put her down at least until she gets to that point.

Quoting polkaspots: You are overthinking it. You put your kid down at least a few times a day. That's good enough. I out my babies down on the floor more than a rocking chair because they have the opportunity to move more, but that's just what I prefer. They also never really did tummy time by themselves. This baby likes tummy time on the bed and on my calves, but he does not like it on the floor or the couch. You shouldn't not let your child lay by themselves because she might spit up. Spit up happens. Obviously when she becomes unhappy you should pick her up, but spit up doesn't usually bother babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
expectantmom81
by Erin on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM
You are doing just fine
expectantmom81
by Erin on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:03 PM
The spitting up does sound like possible reflux.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN