Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I'm in a Pickle.

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM
  • 10 Replies
Ughhhh. Where to start?!

Well, me and Dh aren't working out. WAY too many problems and frankly it isn't worth it as I've caught myself losing feelings for him. I'm past that.

Buuuuut, in the mean time I'm staying with my mother. I have to get a job and I want to, but it's SO hard imagining being away from my baby. He's only three months and depends on me for so much still.. Which leads to the thought if I should just switch to formula? Even though my heart and my head HATE the idea.. I can't pump out enough, and 3oz every 3hrs is gonna make whomever watches him go crazy!

Idk if I should alternate? Formula during the day and nurse him in the morning and at night? Ughh. This sucks!

Any ideas or tips ladies?
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM
I would pump. You could change up the bottle sizes. Two and a half ounces every two hours instead. When DH used to watch ds while I was working he would feed like that. Instead of sitting with a bottle he would basically take a bit here and there.
I am very against myself using formula now that I don't have to. I used it with my first and I don't want to do that again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:18 PM

You'd be surprised.  I watched a baby who would only drink 2-3 oz in a 7 hour period and was just fine.  She was just fine because she only wanted milk mostly if it came from Mommy, and I could distract her fine without her getting upset all day.  The 1-1.25oz rule is to protect your supply, and seriously, baby does not actually need more than that.  You want them to nurse more when you're home then take in a bottle while you're not.

However, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing.   You could give formula during the day and nurse at night.

I'm sorry to hear about your marriage. 

228mommy922
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:35 PM
I had to supplement with formula. I hated it. I think I cried like all day. I had surgery when dd was 4 months and my supply dropped dramatically.I tried to get it back but she was starving. So I did both until she was 11 months. I wouldn't if I had a choice though. If it was me I would try.to pump all I could, start now and freeze it. If she is too hungry then do some formula. However though your gonna be pretty stewarding this situation and for your sanity you may have to use formula. Good luck!
corpswife523
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM
I'm against it too, I'm just not sure my mom and sister will be able to handle it. They would be watching him while I work.

For example, my sister and I went to the gym the other night while my mom watched him, I knew if he cried he'd be tired and not hungry, my mom couldn't get him to sleep so she thought he was hungry and gave him 2oz that I left, and since he ate that she thought he was still hungry. In actuality he just wanted to nurse with mommy and go to bed. That's the type of thing I'm worried about.

Quoting polkaspots: I would pump. You could change up the bottle sizes. Two and a half ounces every two hours instead. When DH used to watch ds while I was working he would feed like that. Instead of sitting with a bottle he would basically take a bit here and there.
I am very against myself using formula now that I don't have to. I used it with my first and I don't want to do that again.
corpswife523
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM
Thanks. I just feel it would be very stressful for my mom and sister to watch him and only feed him the minimum and him not be content and cry all night.

My mom doesn't realize the difference between formula and breast milk, although I've explained it. My sister will just take my word on it.

And thank you.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

You'd be surprised.  I watched a baby who would only drink 2-3 oz in a 7 hour period and was just fine.  She was just fine because she only wanted milk mostly if it came from Mommy, and I could distract her fine without her getting upset all day.  The 1-1.25oz rule is to protect your supply, and seriously, baby does not actually need more than that.  You want them to nurse more when you're home then take in a bottle while you're not.However, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing.   You could give formula during the day and nurse at night.I'm sorry to hear about your marriage. 

corpswife523
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Thanks, its not my sanity I'm worried about, its my mom and sisters, they'd watch him while I work.

Quoting 228mommy922: I had to supplement with formula. I hated it. I think I cried like all day. I had surgery when dd was 4 months and my supply dropped dramatically.I tried to get it back but she was starving. So I did both until she was 11 months. I wouldn't if I had a choice though. If it was me I would try.to pump all I could, start now and freeze it. If she is too hungry then do some formula. However though your gonna be pretty stewarding this situation and for your sanity you may have to use formula. Good luck!
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Two ounces in a bottle to put him to sleep is acceptable even when he doesn't need to be fed. I understand it's not the best, but as they get to know him better they will have other ways to comfort him and get him to sleep.

Quoting corpswife523: I'm against it too, I'm just not sure my mom and sister will be able to handle it. They would be watching him while I work.

For example, my sister and I went to the gym the other night while my mom watched him, I knew if he cried he'd be tired and not hungry, my mom couldn't get him to sleep so she thought he was hungry and gave him 2oz that I left, and since he ate that she thought he was still hungry. In actuality he just wanted to nurse with mommy and go to bed. That's the type of thing I'm worried about.

Quoting polkaspots: I would pump. You could change up the bottle sizes. Two and a half ounces every two hours instead. When DH used to watch ds while I was working he would feed like that. Instead of sitting with a bottle he would basically take a bit here and there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina122952
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Forumla during the day and nurse him at night. do what you feels right

corpswife523
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM
I wish I just didn't have to work! Lol

Thanks! I might have too

Quoting christina122952:

christina122952
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM

or you can just go to forumla. I got lucky i get to stay at home home with my daughter, she is 7 months.

Quoting corpswife523: I wish I just didn't have to work! Lol Thanks! I might have too
Quoting christina122952:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)