Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Is this enough?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 10:43 AM
  • 13 Replies
My DD is almost 8 months old and is not really that interested in her bottles anymore. She gets 3 bottles a day ranging from 6-7 oz. she eats a Gerber stage 2 fruit mixed with cereal in the morning then about 30 min before her nap she is getting a bottle. For lunch she has a stage 2 fruit and veggie and drains both containers usually then again about 30 min before her nap she has her afternoon bottle. For dinner, same thing a fruit and veggie and drains both containers, both stage two. She had her bedtime bottle about an hour or so after her dinner and she usually only drinks about 5 oz out of that. In total she drinks maybe 24 oz in a day. My 3 year old always ate like she did plus 8 oz bottles. Everything ok? She goes back to the dr in May and seems to be gaining weight but isn't the formula the main source of food at this stage?
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM
She should get bottles before solids. I would skip all baby food and cereal . Just offer food your eating.
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Youre*
228mommy922
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 10:57 AM
24 oz is fine. My daughter slowly weened herself from the bottle and breast and gravitated towards food too. Is she gaining weight normally?
little.worthen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM
You're supposed to give them bottles first. But I also never gave my kids baby food or cereal..
228mommy922
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM
24 oz is fine. Thaey say as long as they are getting an oz an hour. Plus she is getting food, so as long as she is not acting hungry. My daughter slowly weened herself from the bottle and breast and gravitated towards food too. Is she gaining weight normally?
Momof2-87
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Seems to be. Last time she was weighed at the drs at her 6 month check up she was 13 lbs and 9 oz. I weighed her at home and she's over 15 lbs. I just want to make sure she's getting enough.
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Solids are just for fun and are not needed before the age of 1.  

We don't do baby food, and I nurse, but you're correct formula should be her main source of nutrition.  Personally I'd stop all purees and cereals, and just start giving pieces of whatever you're eating for dinner, but only AFTER she's had a bottle (immediately after.) 

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM
This
Yes, formula should be her main source if nutrition, but if you are giving her food before the bottle, then she fills up on that instead

Quoting Mom2Just1: She should get bottles before solids. I would skip all baby food and cereal . Just offer food your eating.
Momof2-87
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 2:11 PM
Seems to be. Last time she was weighed at the drs at her 6 month check up she was 13 lbs and 9 oz. I weighed her at home and she's over 15 lbs. I just want to make sure she's getting enough.
Momof2-87
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 2:16 PM
I gave her a bottle right after she got up from her nap and she drank 4 of the 7 oz. it seems like she wants nothing to do with the bottle now. I'm not going sit for an hour trying to get her to eat her bottle. She plays with it now and tries to dump it out. I don't know what else to do?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)