Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

breastfed your kids or not?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:06 PM
  • 40 Replies

What was your breastfeeding plans and ideas on breastfeeding;

before you were ever pregnant?

while you were pregnant?

why do you think you thought the way you did(family history of breastfeeding/not breastfeeding)?

did you end up breastfeeding?

if so, how long, and why you breastfed for that amount of time?

What difficulties did you have if you did begin breastfeeding?

(this is for my own personal research and no bashing intended)

by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GertieMay
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:18 PM
I never really thought about breast feeding

while you were pregnant?
I wanted to but I was constantly going back and forth with it.

why do you think you thought the way you did(family history of breastfeeding/not breastfeeding)?
No one in my family breastfed but my mother In law did so she helped me out a lot. My grandmother wasn't helpful or anything because she never was breast fed and she never breast fed any of her kids.

I did for 4.5 months with me oldest. I wound up not being able to keep up with his demands once I went back to work. And with my twins I nursed them for the first 3 weeks. It was a lot harder with them. And I had had a breast reduction a few years ago so that had a big impact on it.

if so, how long, and why you breastfed for that amount of time? Answered in above question. :).

At first with my oldest it was him latching on but once he got the hang of it he was great. With the twins it was feeding two at the same time. I felt like a cow on a milking machine. Lol
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:19 PM
I never put much thought into it prepregnancy. During my pregnancy I planned on breastfeeding, my original goal was 6 months just because I thought you were supposed to stop somewhere around that age.
Once dd was here and I began doing some research and learned how amazingly healthy it is I decided to bump my goal up to one year. Once we got there, dd was no where close to being ready to quit so we kept going and I made a new goal of two years. Dd is 3 and a half now and still nurses twice a day. She'll be done when she's done.
We did have a little bit of difficulty in the beginning. I had a lot of pain and some cracked bleeding nipples the first few weeks but one day about 3 weeks in the pain went away and it's been smooth sailing ever since.
abra
by Abra on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I planned on breastfeeding all 4 of my kids. After I had my 1st I developed some serious health problems and had to switch to formula when she was 1 month old. 

I exclusively breastfed my 2nd baby until she self-weaned at 9 months old (when we introduced table food). 

I exclusively breastfed my 3rd baby until he was 6 months old. He was drinking over 60oz of pumped breastmilk a day, but I couldn't keep up with him. I got to an unhealthy skinny and just kept loosing weight to a dangerously low point. So we started to wean him and I got pregnant when he was 7 months old and since I have hyperemesis gravidarum, we made a complete transition to formula. 

I excluisvely breastfed my 4th baby until he was 6 months old. He almost bit my nipple off and after a month of trying to continue, my wound wouldn't heal and was getting worse so we had to wean him on to formula. 

All 4 of my children are in prime health, intelligent, happy, secure children. They are 8, 5, 3 and 2 now. :-) 

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." - GK Chesterton 

BrittSam2011
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I always knew I was going to breastfeed my kids. 

It's what was/is best for them.

i breastfed all of my boys (had to pump for 9 months with my first because he wouldn't latch).

breastfed all of them until 9 months.

my oldest was taken into the nursery in the hospital when he was born for breathing problems and they gave him a pacifier instead of bringing him to me to feed him, so he never wanted to latch after that. And with the next two, I just had a lot of nipple pain for the first two months until my nips got used to it, but I kept on.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

mama-smurf
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
What was your breastfeeding plans and ideas on breastfeeding; 1st kid: not interested 2nd kid: sorta it wrested but thought no big deal. 3rd kid: plan to breastfeed 6 months, then 1 year

Never considered.

while you were pregnant?
First 2 kids automatically formula. 3rd only breast milk.

Family misinformed, uneducated and puny and stupid bfs family members. No support with them. All support from cafemom

First 2 no last kid yes

1st kid, colostrum, 2nd kid maybe a week, 3rd kid 14 months and counting

What difficulties did you have if you did begin breastfeeding?lip tie, PTT, thrush, no nursing cues. Poor weight gain,
mckinneymom918
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Prepregnancy I hadn't really thought about it. With my oldest, I didn't- but went back and forth even until right when she was born. I was single with her and was in school full time and working full time, so I knew I would be away from her more than I was with her for the first several months until I graduated. And pumping wasn't going to be an easy task at school.

My middle, I breastfed him for 8 weeks until we learned he was not properly transferring milk and so no gaining weight as he should. We had trouble from the start because I suspect he is tongue tied and as my supply regulated, he wasn't getting enough even though I nursed on demand.

My "baby" is 19 months and we still nurse a few times a day. We're still going because we're not ready to wean completely. She still needs the comfort at nap time (when she takes one) and bedtime. We had NO struggles. She nursed great from minute 1, but I had done a ton of research so that we wouldn't get 8 weeks in and wonder why she wasn't gaining weight.
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:43 PM
I planned to breastfeed and I did. It's what best for babies and I only want the best for them. I nursed first child for 14 month, still nursing second child at 16 months, and I'm 15 weeks pregnant with a third baby I will nurse. No one in my family breastfed but I researched and we overcame latching issues, constant nursing, growth spurts, oversupply, and clogged ducts. Well worth it for my healthy children!
MommyCassafrass
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM

before you were ever pregnant? I knew I was going BF before I was even pregnant

while you were pregnant? Formula was never even an option as I filled my house with a breast pump and storage bags, lanolin, and various breast feeding things. 

why do you think you thought the way you did( family history of breastfeeding/not breastfeeding)? No one in my family even attempted to BF which made me cringe.  I knew it was what was right and best for my child so that's what I did.  

did you end up breastfeeding?  I am currently breast feeding

if so, how long, and why you breastfed for that amount of time?  He's almost 8 months and still going strong

What difficulties did you have if you did begin breastfeeding? None, other than the fact that I made too much which resulted in me having a large healthy baby and a healthy freezer stash.  

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I always planned to breastfeed. There was no "choice", I was just going to do it. 

I ended up breastfeeding my first for 25 months, even through my next pregnancy. I'm currently breastfeeding my 4 month old. I want to breastfeed him for two years as well. 

My difficulties with my first were many. I had bleeding, cracked nipples for weeks, I was on a thrush cycle for months, it was rough for the first 8 months or so. 

No problems at all this time.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:51 PM
I knew I WOULD breastfeed as soon as I got pregnant. I planned to at least for a year with my first two but for various reasons it wasn't possible. I pumped until Mastitis finally depleted my supply (happed the same with both.)

When I got pregnant with #3 I was even more determined. I decided to nurse to 24 months MINIMUM but was completely open to continuing beyond that. He nursed 22 months when my surprise fourth pregnancy dropped my supply.

I have been nursing my fourth son a little over 3 months and will nurse until at least two.

The challenges I faced varied greatly between four kids. My first was born 5 weeks early with kidney disease. He was in the NICU for 3 weeks. During that time he got NEC and a severe UTI from having a catheter. He was mostly tube fed because he actually lost weight just suckling on a bottle and breastfeeding takes much more effort. He only nursed once and it was after an hour of fighting to get a good latch. I have a picture and I treasure it.

My second son was born with Amyoplasia; a condition that effects tendons, ligaments, and muscles. He had a very tight jaw, a high palate, and a thicker upper ridge which made latching and staying latched nearly impossible. I saw a LC daily for weeks but it just didn't work out.

My third took to nursing right away but about a week in we had issues with shallow latch. I just stuck with it and unlatched/relatched until he got a wide latch down. By two weeks we were back on track. We had one day of biting around 8 month but he learned that biting got no food so he stopped.

When my fourth was born by repeat(4th) c-section we tried to nurse in recovery but I had too many wires to get comfortable. He nursed about 3 hours after he was born. It took about 3 days to get proper latch but we have been doing well since then.

Quoting Pepe22:

What was your breastfeeding plans and ideas on breastfeeding;

while you were pregnant?

(this is for my own personal research and no bashing intended)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN