Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

need advice, nothing else please. **update**

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:49 PM
  • 40 Replies

My son is 11 months old. We are weaning off the breast because I emotionally cannot do it any longer. We have chosen not to supplement with formula after speaking with his pediatrictian about it. A lot of babies wean at the breast on their own around now, and dont need their "missed" nursing sessions replaced with formula. He was already only nursing 4 times a day when we decided to start weaning. This week it is twice a day. He now gets 4 oz of whole milk a day mixed with 2 oz of breast milk. last week he has 3 nursing sessions and 2 oz of whole milk and an oz of breast milk a day. He does not ask to nurse during the day at all. He doesnt even ask to nurse in the mornings. Before we started to wean his 2 middle nursing sessions lasted max 2 minutes, but usually a minute or less. And when we dropped to 3 a day, that middle feeding never lasted more than a minute. He eats solids 6 times a day, 3 meals, 3 snacks. gets the servings a toddler needs.

Now to my concerns........

The last 3 days he has had one blow out a day. Up the back and out both sides of the diaper. Not really runny, but not solid like it usually is. he also got a bad diaper rash 3 days ago. almost looked blistery the first day, but by yesterday morning it wasnt blistery looking anymore and theres only a couple spots left.

he has slowly stopped eating solids. 3 days ago he didnt eat as much as normal, yesterday by 5 he was done eating solids, and today he has had a half a serving of meat, veggies, and fruits. and that was spread throughout the day. We have tried all different types of food, true solids, baby food, mashed solids, he wont even touch his favorite foods (bananas and cocoa wheats). He hasnt asked to nurse at all these 3 days except at bedtime. He doesnt even ask at his naps (but again is normal. just mentioning this so you know im not denying it to him. it doesnt seem like hes rebelling against the weaning since he isnt asking).

He has drank his bottles of whole milk/breast milk combo and water just normal though. and his morning and night nursing has been normal.

Should I be concerrned? what could be causing the blowouts? he hasnt had any new foods. even before we started weaning he had all kinds of dairy on a daily basis, including 2% milk, we just didnt make it a cerrtain amount then. he just drank whatever he wanted out of our cups (and again, it is whole milk now). Why would he stop eating and not even replace it with asking to nurse? I dont want him losing weight and getting unhealthy.... but maybe theres a baby reason hes doing this? like it is kinda normal?

** so lets get off the "ped is horrible, fire her". not gonna happen. she did nothing wrong. there was tons of talking pros and cons. she gave her knowledge in every aspect. we made the decision. not her.

so, we say its a milk allergy. allergy is usually from the protien at this age, and not even truely an allergy, just body isnt ready for that many protiens. i understand that. and knew it was possible for this to happen, however figured it would have happened awhile ago if it was going to happen. anyways. it doesnt matter what formula i buy, he could have an allergy to it as well. so no matter what it is a guessing game and quite possibly could take a month to find the right formula for him and then he doesnt need it anymore.

i believe he is getting the nutrients he needs. all the fat he needs. all the vitamins and protiens his body needs right now. however i dont want to be giving him something that is hurting him. so lets so i choose to buy formula for the next month (not saying i am, and not saying i wont. something i will discuss with the daddy). how do i choose a milk for him? since protien is usually the cause at this age, can i try whole milk again? or do i try soy or something else? is almond milk safe to try with it being nuts and I am allergic to it? i have found that theres more of a chance they will be allergic to it if a parent is. it is the only high allergy food i have held off on giving him because it scares me so much.**

by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM
3 moms liked this
Your ped is wrong. Babies don't self wean before a year. Could be the milk. He needs formula or
Breast milk before a year.
SeattleBabyBump
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Sounds like it could be a food allergy. Have you talked to his dr about it?
addykarder19
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Did you change something in you're diet?? His body might just be adjusting.
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM
He's probably developing a milk allergy like my cousin did because he was given milk before a year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesuschild06
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:57 PM

no, its been the weekend and if i called they would just send us to the ER and I know that isnt neccessary. I thought at first food allergy, but since he hasnt had any new foods, I cant figure it out.

Quoting SeattleBabyBump: Sounds like it could be a food allergy. Have you talked to his dr about it?

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Sounds like a milk allergy. Most people do not become allergic the first time they drink something, it takes awhile
jesuschild06
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:01 PM

didnt say all, just some. and thaddy would be perfectly content not nursing until bedtime. hes up for usually 2 hours before i actually pick him up to nurse him because he doesnt ask to nurse at all in the mornings. and the 2 middle feedings he use to do, i would go pick him up to nurse because otherwise he wouldnt have nursed at all. i dont believe 12 months is a magical number and all of a sudden he no longer needs breastmilk or formula. i know they are both reccomended past a year because they do have benefits still, but a year isnt a magical number, just like 6 months isnt a magical number for solid foods. we did a lot of discussing and research and this is what we have chosen.

but he has had tons of dairy before the weaning..... so why would it just now start to bother him?

Quoting Mom2Just1: Your ped is wrong. Babies don't self wean before a year. Could be the milk. He needs formula or Breast milk before a year.

JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:03 PM
2 moms liked this

This.

My youngest son had a diary intolerance and  had the same issue.

Babies do NOT self wean before a year and nutritionally need breastmilk or formula before a year of age.  I'd run from a ped who gave out such horrendous advice.

I'd stop giving him dairy, especially milk because he's too young for it and either go back to nursing full time, or switch to a dairy free formula for nutrition.

I realize that's not what you want to read, but I'd be very concerned that he's not getting the nutrition he needs. 

Quoting Mom2Just1: Your ped is wrong. Babies don't self wean before a year. Could be the milk. He needs formula or Breast milk before a year.

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

mckinneymom918
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:05 PM
It's the milk. All that straight dairy all the sudden is hurting him. Stop the milk and give him formula. Or just nurse him.
jesuschild06
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:06 PM

hmmmm. i have been eating a lot of cream cheese icing the last 4-5 days at work. I have been brownies with cream cheese icing. otherwise, nothing new. Im a picky eater, i pretty much eat the same things everyday/week. oh, and peach rings, ive been craving them too. stupid periods. lol. and i have eaten those two things since he has been born, but not like i have this week. so maybe it one of those things. i dont think he has ever had cream cheese before. i havent been feeding him the brownie at all (i dont give him sugary foods) but i never thought about it going in the bm. i always forget about that.

Quoting addykarder19: Did you change something in you're diet?? His body might just be adjusting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)