Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

When babies should start eating solids?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:23 PM
  • 43 Replies

If you go to Google and go to where it says that you introduce baby to solid foods between 4 to 6 months old when they are ready and I knew my son was ready cause he would put his hands in me and my boyfriend plate or reach for our plates to try rings something to eat and some babies are different not all babies are alike 

by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM
With my first we did solids at 5 months or maybe a little before, second 4 months. I don't think their digestive tracts were ready though. Puréed food came out almost exactly as it went in. With my 3rd I waited until 6 months but she wasn't interested so we tried again at 8 months. Food digested and she was ready. With my 4th we waited until about 7 months but he ate very little, just little tastes now and then. He started on table food at about 9 months and hasn't stopped. He's an eating machine!! My newest is only 3 months. I will watch for cues but I doubt she will be ready before 6 months.
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM
4 moms liked this

Babies reach for all kinds of things.  Knives, my glasses, they'll even reach for cigarette butts on the ground if you'll let them.  None of those things are things a baby needs.

Babies should be given the option of eating solids no earlier than 6 months, has lost their tongue thrust, is sitting UNassisted, and has a pincer's grasp.  Those are the signs that internally they are capable of even digesting solids, instead of harming their intestines.  Since you cannot see inside your baby, it's better to wait until you KNOW their insides are capable rather than trying to force it earlier.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, this! Babies reaching means nothing in regards to solids.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Babies reach for all kinds of things.  Knives, my glasses, they'll even reach for cigarette butts on the ground if you'll let them.  None of those things are things a baby needs.Babies should be given the option of eating solids no earlier than 6 months, has lost their tongue thrust, is sitting UNassisted, and has a pincer's grasp.  Those are the signs that internally they are capable of even digesting solids, instead of harming their intestines.  Since you cannot see inside your baby, it's better to wait until you KNOW their insides are capable rather than trying to force it earlier. 

sweetsavannah10
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I started at 4 months with both of mine. I've known some to start before and after. It just depends on the baby.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM
No earlier than 6 months. Their digestive systems aren't ready before then.
Babes2626
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM

This exactly! 

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Babies reach for all kinds of things.  Knives, my glasses, they'll even reach for cigarette butts on the ground if you'll let them.  None of those things are things a baby needs.Babies should be given the option of eating solids no earlier than 6 months, has lost their tongue thrust, is sitting UNassisted, and has a pincer's grasp.  Those are the signs that internally they are capable of even digesting solids, instead of harming their intestines.  Since you cannot see inside your baby, it's better to wait until you KNOW their insides are capable rather than trying to force it earlier. 

expectantmom81
by Erin on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM
I waited until 6 months with my boys
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Reaching for food is NOT a sign of readiness! Hold a lit candle in front of your baby I'll bet he grabs at the flame; it's curiosity nothing more.

6 months
Sitting UNSUPPORTED
Can feed themselves
No tongue thrust reflex

Quoting LEXYTAYLOR:

If you go to Google and go to where it says that you introduce baby to solid foods between 4 to 6 months old when they are ready and I knew my son was ready cause he would put his hands in me and my boyfriend plate or reach for our plates to try rings something to eat and some babies are different not all babies are alike 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvMyBoys09
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Quote from aap.org:

"Food Introduction:
​Introduce solid foods around 6 months of age
Expose baby to a wide variety of healthy foods
Also offer a variety of textures
click to hide information
For information ->
Related Parent Resources

​HALF Message(s):

Lots of parents are excited to start their babies on solid foods. Others are nervous. Starting to eat solid foods (like baby cereal and baby food) is an important part of your baby’s development. Did you know that babies who start eating solid food too early are more likely to be overweight or obese in childhood and adulthood? This is one more important reason to wait until your baby is really ready before giving him solid foods.

HALF Resources:

For realistic parent derived strategies for solid food introduction refer parents to the following sections on healthychildren.org/growinghealthy
Quick Tips: Keep Your Child Healthy widget. Simply select Starting Solid Foods to generate the results.
Food and Feeding Infants.
Also take advantage of the Healthy Active Living for Families app to create personalized patient education for your patient.
HALF Message(s):

Introducing your baby to new foods can be both fun and frustrating. Some parents worry about wasting food and money if their babies don’t like a lot of foods at first. Good news: a new eater only needs 1-2 tablespoons of each food and will gradually increase to 3-4 tablespoons as she gets older. By getting your baby used to lots of different foods, you’ll help him build a healthy diet for life."
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Better later than too early. Too early can cause problems when baby is older. My babies tend to be at the later end of starting solids. I even had one who didn't eat more than a bite or two of solids until she was 14 months! No rush mama :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)