Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Tantrums

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:56 PM
  • 11 Replies
My dd3 is 14mon. She has started throwing nasty tantrums when she doesn't get what she wants. She screams the loudest scream I've ever heard (and my dd2 is a screamer). She also hits the floor and herself.

How can I discourage this behavior??
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Ignore it. The more attention she gets the more likely she is to continue. Walk away or even just turn away from her. Eventually she will realize that it doesn't get her anything and she'll stop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Try to ignore it. Many times if a child knows they won't get any attention for doing those things, they stop. 

When that doesn't work, I give my daughter "Katie time", which is spending time alone in her room. She's free to play with her toys, read books, etc until she is calm and able to be a pleasant part of the family again.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Ignore it or if in public, take her somehwere out of sight and wait for her to cool down.

wife-4-life
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Thanks ladies. I'm gonna try ignoring. I feel like she is being influenced by her sister when it comes to throwing fits. :( and when she is mad her older sisters big her more.
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:55 AM

I agree with everyone else about ignoring it. Good luck!

kLynch315
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM
My Dd is 15 months and I just ignore. She usually quits fairly quick when she realizes no one is watching.
mommyhonu
by Mary on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Agreed, that what I've always done with all of my boys.

wife-4-life
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 4:42 PM
That's kinda what she did today. I was ignoring her tantrum and she stopped mid scream to look at me and see if I was looking. What a booger!

Quoting kLynch315: My Dd is 15 months and I just ignore. She usually quits fairly quick when she realizes no one is watching.
leeshuh
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I try to say "I can't understand  you when you talk like that. When you can use words come find me and we can talk about it". Then I walk away or just continue doing what I am if I have to stay in that room.

wife-4-life
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM
She's 14 month and doesn't say any words except dada. She doesn't comprehend most f what I say to her.

But I do that with my older two girls who do understand. :)

Quoting leeshuh:

I try to say "I can't understand  you when you talk like that. When you can use words come find me and we can talk about it". Then I walk away or just continue doing what I am if I have to stay in that room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)