Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Jaydens 1 update....Dr says hes too small for 1.Need advice.

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:04 AM
  • 73 Replies

My Son Jayden turned 1 on April 18th. He had a check up with his pediatrician April 21st. He weighs 20.14lbs and is 29in long. Hes very smart and the survey that they make us do at the beginning was all yes answers. The Dr said hes to small for his age and should be 22lbs now. Even told me he needed more calorie intake. To even put ice cream in his bottles. Nuts I know. And I disagree with this. I think he eats enough. I think hes gonna be tall and skinny just like his Daddy. But I wanna see what u mommys think about his eating habits.

Heres what we did yesterday

Woke up at 7am- He had a 8oz bottle.(Cow milk)

Breakfast 10:00AM- 3 Scoops of cereal (formula scoops), With smashed bananas, Milk in a sippy, 2 cookies, and a handful of cheerios

Nap 11:30-2

Bottle 2:30- 6oz

Lunch 3:30- Peanut butter sandwich, without the crust, sippy of juice, 1 cookie

7:00- He had a couple small pieces of my pizza. Probably 15 pieces or so...Small little pieces and juice. (He usually has a yogurt with fruit but we forgot it at the store.

8:30- Bath time, zyrtec, 8oz bottle with 2 scoops of cereal.

He was in bed by 9. 

He got up around 1am this morning. Ate a 6oz bottle. Slept till 8am. Had cereal and mashed bananas at 8:30AM. He usually eats breakfast at 830-9 and it can be cherrios, baby cereal and fruit, pancakes and eggs. Just depends. He usually naps around noon or 1. Can be up to a hour or longer. Then lunch is sometimes different. He usually eats it around 2 or 3. Can usually have a sanwich, raviollis, macaroni, boiled veggies. Then he usually eats whatever I have in between. Inless its too spicy or saucy. His snacks in between are usually vanilla wafer cookies, cereal bars, dry cereal or yogurt melts or veggie melts. Dinners usually always around 5 or 6 and is always a yoplait yougurt. Bedtimes always around 830-9. He gets 1 nap a day that can last from 45min to 2 hours. He usually eats 3 8oz bottles a day.But sometimes he waste some. So why would he be to small for my Dr. She asked if he eats. That boy eats more then I do. I usually get 1 meal a day and 5 hours of sleep. He eats 6 or 7 times a day including when I eat, bottle and snacks and sleeps for 13 or 14 hours a day. I think the Drs nuts. What do you guys think. Should I feed him more? Is he sleeping and eating enough? Thanks for the help Mommys. =)

by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JacknJill
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM
The pediatrician recommended ice cream in the bottle??? That just doesn't make any sense.
JaydensMama418
by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Yeah. Ice cream. She said it would give him a higher calorie intake. We didnt believe it either and its something I refuse to do.

Quoting JacknJill: The pediatrician recommended ice cream in the bottle??? That just doesn't make any sense.

staci1103
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:39 AM

This was my 1stnthought as well.  Why not spoon feed him ice cream if this is how they what his caloric intake to increase?

Quoting JacknJill: The pediatrician recommended ice cream in the bottle??? That just doesn't make any sense.

Siare
by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I'd get a second opinion... Every kid is as different as the rainbow. My kid weighs 34 lbs at 4 1/2 and while she is skinny, she's not underweight. She clearly has her fathers build. As an adult he's like 5'8 and weighs 125 lbs.

JacknJill
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM
They have other options like Esure and things like that. You should ask about those first I would think..

Quoting JaydensMama418:

Yeah. Ice cream. She said it would give him a higher calorie intake. We didnt believe it either and its something I refuse to do.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Both my kids weighed less than 20 lbs at 1 year. Dr never said anything. I would push healthier foods. Cereal is empty calories, pizza is not healthy. Give him avocados because they are high in good fats.  But my kids were and are breastfeed and we skip all unhealthy foods. My ped expects them to be small.

Sebbiemama
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Unless there has been a dramatic drop in his percentiles, I wouldn't worry about his weight. My little guy just turned 1 this month and he is also 20.8 lbs and 31.5 inches (so a little taller and thinner than your baby) and we all agree that he's perfectly healthy. Both my boys are tall and thin naturally just like DH and my brother, even though they eat well. If you are still worried, go ahead and ask for a second opinion. 

But since you asked about foods, I would suggest offering water instead of juice with most meals. Some juice and treats are fine (we always drink OJ with breakfast), but I think it's good to learn to like drinking water too. I also offer fruit and veggies for at least 1-2 of their snacks. So much of what my boys ate at this age are "snacks" so I try to make sure those are packed with nutritious stuff. Common snacks in our house are yogurt and fruit, cereal and fruit, beans and cheese cubes, or bell peppers or snap peas and dip. Just some suggestions for what works in our house. But in general I think you are doing a good job and have no need to worry. :)

bbyblueAK
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
My 2yr old is only 26lbs. No worries momma every baby is different
JaydensMama418
by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I have given him ice cream before..Just thought it was weird she told me to add it in every bottle he eats. I already add gerber cereal in his night time bottle.

Quoting staci1103:

This was my 1stnthought as well.  Why not spoon feed him ice cream if this is how they what his caloric intake to increase?

JaydensMama418
by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Were gonna get him the little toddler meals today. Try to get him to eat more veggies. He ates veggies but loves fruit.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Both my kids weighed less than 20 lbs at 1 year. Dr never said anything. I would push healthier foods. Cereal is empty calories, pizza is not healthy. Give him avocados because they are high in good fats.  But my kids were and are breastfeed and we skip all unhealthy foods. My ped expects them to be small.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN