Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Silent Reflux....help

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:37 PM
  • 12 Replies

What can you mommies tell me about Silent Reflux? I am suspecting my DD might have it. She is 4 weeks old and is very fussy after feedings. She seems irritable and goes ALL day like that after feedsing. I finally get her to settle down and then shes due to eat again and it starts over. By 3-4pm the poor thing is EXHAUSTED that that is when she finally takes a decent nap. Its breaking my heart. But my husband thinks she could just be a fussy baby. But I find it odd that she will NOT sleep. She takes this 15 min kat naps and seems to be disturbed by something? She could be quiet and going into a sleep and all of the sudden SCREAMS? And we can get her to calm pretty well but it doesnt last. Its and off and on thing all day. At night she sleeps so well. And that it where I am thrown off. She gets constant hiccups, gulps to eat and just spills the formula. Shes a messy eater? She usually eats and get fussy an hr after or a few mins after a bottle. 

Im at my wits end.  :( 

I hate seeing her like this. I would obviously prefer to hear that shes just fussy. But my gut is telling my otherwise. 

HELP!

by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 6:37 PM

check out http://www.reflux.org

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Has she been on the same formula the whole time? Has she been like this since birth?

winteryfaith
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Yes same formula. I would say at 2 wks we noticed it more

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Has she been on the same formula the whole time? Has she been like this since birth?

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM
She is being fed too fast. Hold her in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, with a slower flow nipple. Burp after every ounce.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Some babies need to be burped more. You could also try feeding baby in a new position. Does baby seem gassy? 

Quoting winteryfaith: Yes same formula. I would say at 2 wks we noticed it more
Quoting la_bella_vita:

KikiB85
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM
My son has reflux. It's rough on him. Ask at your 1mo check up. My son doing alot better on the meds but he still gets bothered by it. It Breaks Your Heart When you cant Really do much For them.
vilandra
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:59 AM
sounds like reflux to me, my lo had the same problem and was put on zantac. They out grow it. my lo eventually started not wanting to eat at all, I would say talk to the pediatrician.
ABCMomma0211
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 6:18 PM

she is just colicly it sounds....

or needs burped more. 

mommyhonu
by Mary on Apr. 28, 2014 at 6:37 PM

agreed, hope that she gets some relief soon.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Some babies need to be burped more. You could also try feeding baby in a new position. Does baby seem gassy? 

Quoting winteryfaith: Yes same formula. I would say at 2 wks we noticed it more
Quoting la_bella_vita:

gtubemommy2012
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 6:47 PM
My daughter had extreme reflux.
You should try changing formulas to a "sensitive tummy" one, if that doesn't work try a non-dairy one, if the one she currently has is dairy, or vice versa. Put hernon the slowest flow bottle nipple, and try burping her every ounce.
Put a wedge, or folded blanket under her crib mattress to elevate her body a 45 degree angle.
swaddle her so she stays in this position, with her head elevated while she is sleeping.
Talk to her doctor about reflux meds.
There are also tests the doctor can order to see if it really is reflux, so if none of the above improve her situation ask about swallow studies, perhaps she is aspirating silently (breathing in formula, which is painful and damaging).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN