Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Teething...how long is this going to last?

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM
  • 13 Replies

LO is 6.5 months old and teething.  I can see her bottom 2 center, top 2 center, and 2 eye teeth on the top through the gums.  It's likely she's trying to cut all 6 teeth at the same time.  This is the first time she's cut any teeth.  She has been "actively teething" for 10 days now and nothing has popped through.  By actively teething I mean drooling like mad, chewing on everything, fighting nursing, having trouble sleeping, diarrhea, and extremely clingy.  How long does this usually last?  I'm losing my mind...  I need some sleep and would really like my happy baby back. 

by on May. 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
19greeneyesmoma
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Gosh I cant remember my oldest is 7 but my 4 month old daughter I believe is teething. She has had the same symptoms well the diarrhea just started yesterday. I cant see or feel anything so lord only knows how long its gonna be. 

19greeneyesmoma
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Hopefully it want be much longer since you can see them. But poor thing thats a bunch of teeth at one time. Try giving some infants tylenol to ease the pain if you are ok with that. I have given it to mine and it seems to help.

wife-4-life
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Each kid is different. My baby's first teeth took 6months. She was actively teething for that time too. The teeth would start to cut then descend and then start to cut..... It was not fun!
crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Oh poor baby, I remember ds got 4 at the same time. Teething tabs did wonders, also teething biscuits.....

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Ouch! Poor baby, that's a lot of teeth at once. Teething can take months : / My kid's would start teething at 6 months but not get a tooth until 9 months. It may not be the same for your baby though. 

mewebb82
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM

It can last anywhere between a few days and many months. Every baby is different. If you can see the teeth, I doubt it will be more than a few more weeks though. 

With my kids, it ranged between 7 days and 5 months. Once I saw the teeth at the gums though, it was usually only 3-10 days.

Rhyinns.Mommy
by on May. 6, 2014 at 3:00 PM
My son always cuts 2 or more at a time, it can last a long time. I'm sorry LO is hurting but they won't remember it in a few weeks. :)
Rhyinns.Mommy
by on May. 6, 2014 at 3:00 PM
My son always cuts 2 or more at a time, it can last a long time. I'm sorry LO is hurting but they won't remember it in a few weeks. :)
ajdoma
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 3:26 PM

It can take a long time!  I'd be surprized if she's cutting eye teeth, yet.  Those usually come quite a bit later.  It may be the ones between the center teeth and eye teeth, though.  Sometimes they look farther to the side than they are.

My oldest daughter was 6.5 months when we adopted her and she cut six teeth within the first month.  My oldest had a terrible time cutting teeth, too, so I can commiserate! The thing that helped the most was acetaminphen, or ibuprofen.  Rubbing a little bit of Orajel on them can help them get to sleep, too.  The teething tabs are good, too. Not that long ago, they used to rub a tiny bit of some kind of whiskey on the gums, but I doubt you want to do that now.  It worked a little bit like the Orajel.

I raised six adopted babies.  One, I didn't even know was teething until I saw the tooth in his mouth.  Three of them had some pain with teething, but not too bad.  The other two had a heck of a time, especially my first, who always got an ear infection and diarrhea when he was teething.

Hang in there!

christina122952
by pinupqueen on May. 7, 2014 at 9:33 PM
My daughter is cutting her first tooth now
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)