Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Used to be a great sleeper

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:17 AM
  • 18 Replies

My son used to sleep through the night. Then, we he turned 8 months, he just wakes up and keeps crying. He's not teething because he isn't fussy during the day or anything. 

I read about sleep regression, but idk.

Has this happened to you and what did you do?

by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Yep. Four kids, has happened four times to varying degrees. It is common to wake more frequently around this age. What did I do that worked? Nothing. The only thing that has worked is time. It's a phase and will pass :)
emkirkley
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:44 AM

not being fussy during the day does NOT mean that he's not teething.  Just like adults, it's when they lay down to rest and have nothing more to focus on that teething bothers them, just like our anxieties and aches and pains are more bothersome to us at bedtime.
however, there is a sleep regression about 8-9 months when they are pulling up and trying to learn to cruise/walk or hitting some other major milestone and "practice it in their sleep"

You could try advil at bedtime to see if that helps, otherwise you just deal with it and either do CIO (if that's your style) or you go in and soothe them and help them get settled to fall back asleep again.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Sleep regression is Common around this age. Both my kids did it and we just hold them and comfort them. We don't CIO.
newbieann
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Yea, I'm leaning towards CIO and the whole idea of having him waking up as he fell asleep; no paci, me not there, night light, white noise. See where it goes. 

Quoting emkirkley:

not being fussy during the day does NOT mean that he's not teething.  Just like adults, it's when they lay down to rest and have nothing more to focus on that teething bothers them, just like our anxieties and aches and pains are more bothersome to us at bedtime.however, there is a sleep regression about 8-9 months when they are pulling up and trying to learn to cruise/walk or hitting some other major milestone and "practice it in their sleep"

You could try advil at bedtime to see if that helps, otherwise you just deal with it and either do CIO (if that's your style) or you go in and soothe them and help them get settled to fall back asleep again.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:29 AM
It's a sleep regression. It's completely normal. Don't make him CIO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Completely normal... He's growing, and learning new things and discovering that you still exist when you leave (and then wondering where you went!). Expect regressions like this for the first couple of years, at least.

Feed him, hold him, rock him and put him back to bed... If he cries, just bring him to lay down with you. It'll pass.
newbieann
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM

It's been five weeks. Sleep regression lasts 4-6 weeks. So one more to go hopefully!

What did you during this time?

Should I go in there and comfort?

I just don't want to start doing things, and then when sleep regression is over get him "used" to things.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7: It's a sleep regression. It's completely normal. Don't make him CIO.

newbieann
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I don't want to co-sleep. If it's in the morning I don't mind, like when husband and BIL get ready for work and wake up. Just for me, my bed is my bed. Plus, I wouldn't want him getting used to sleeping my bed.

Quoting SewingMamaLele: Completely normal... He's growing, and learning new things and discovering that you still exist when you leave (and then wondering where you went!). Expect regressions like this for the first couple of years, at least. Feed him, hold him, rock him and put him back to bed... If he cries, just bring him to lay down with you. It'll pass.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:46 AM
So then sit up with him all night until he goes back to sleep. I'd much rather snuggle a cute baby and get right back to sleep... But, I'd you don't mind the lack of sleep and you can do without, go right ahead.

Quoting newbieann:

I don't want to co-sleep. If it's in the morning I don't mind, like when husband and BIL get ready for work and wake up. Just for me, my bed is my bed. Plus, I wouldn't want him getting used to sleeping my bed.

Quoting SewingMamaLele: Completely normal... He's growing, and learning new things and discovering that you still exist when you leave (and then wondering where you went!). Expect regressions like this for the first couple of years, at least.

Feed him, hold him, rock him and put him back to bed... If he cries, just bring him to lay down with you. It'll pass.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:57 AM
I always cuddled my kids and they always got through any sleep disturbances fine. My kids all co-slept until 6-8 months (my third did 22 months since we were breastfeeding) which helped get thrm through sleep regressions, teething, and growth spurts. It also didn't cause issues later. My kids became independent even when others would of said I was "spoiling" them and they wouldn't.

Quoting newbieann:

It's been five weeks. Sleep regression lasts 4-6 weeks. So one more to go hopefully!

What did you during this time?

Should I go in there and comfort?

I just don't want to start doing things, and then when sleep regression is over get him "used" to things.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7: It's a sleep regression. It's completely normal. Don't make him CIO.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN